A Conversation for Notes From a Small Planet

Special Relationship

Post 1

Mister Matty

Not often I agree with what you say smiley - winkeye but the point about the special relationship is entirely true. We gain nothing from it, and our government puts American interests above British interests, which is unacceptable.

As I've said before, I think there is plenty of reasons for action against Iraq but Blair is incapable of putting these to either Parliament or the rest of the World. Why? - because it is a running joke that he will obey Washington and then attempt to justify that as his "own opinion" to a (rightly) disbelieving Parliament. I think he would like to see Saddam out of power (unlike the idiotic Labour MP George Galloway, who seems unconcerned about Saddam's government) but I don't think he likes the idea of unilateral American action. Why he is risking his political credibility, his popular support, and his country's international standing in the name of a "relationship" that brings us nothing is a question that cannot be answered. However, Blairs timidity and cowardice point to him possibly believeing the cold-war (mythical?) theory that the US can "make or break" a British leader.

A friend of mine suggested that Britain should demand payback from the US for our "support". I entirely agree that that is the least we should expect. However, I don't expect it from this spineless PM. Or, God forbid, the bowing-scraping "patriotic" Tory party.


Special Relationship

Post 2

Ormondroyd

smiley - wow What a day I'm having! I'd just heard that I've won a prize for my first contribution to the new BBCi site 'collective', and now you agree with something I've said! I'm sure I'll wake up any minute now! smiley - winkeye

I entirely agree with your disdain for both Blair and the wretched Tories. So much so, in fact, that I posted my application to join the Liberal Democrats about an hour ago.


Special Relationship

Post 3

egon

Ormy- damn good article, agree with most of it, and I already AM a member of the Lib Dems- in my opinion the only mainstream party to still have principles!

Also, congratulations on your collective prize. I've managed to win one two weeks running! What did you recommend?


Special Relationship

Post 4

egon

Also, I just thought you'd like to know that at this time of international crisis Tony Blair is addressing the real issues:

http://www.evertonfc.tv/News/Article.asp?id=4938


Special Relationship

Post 5

Ormondroyd

smiley - laugh Well, at least you can agree with Blair on that... smiley - winkeye

I recommended 'Insomnia', which I thought thoroughly deserved all the critical acclaim it's had - although judging by the postings about that film, I enjoyed it a lot more than some other Collective users. That may have been partly because I'm a chronic insomniac myself, so I could really empathise with Al Pacino's character! smiley - sleepy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more