Eating Out With The Phoenician Trader: Royal Oak

0 Conversations

A sizzling meal

The Royal Oak

In the back streets of Southwark, also known as the Borough, near the quite old church of St George the Martyr and the mostly demolished Machelsea Prison (the second one) is a small back street boozer called the Royal Oak, complete with a swinging sign showing Charles hiding in the famous tree.

The pub only sells beers from one brewer (plus a single guest and a two lagers that few touch) and a couple of very nice ciders. The beer is kept extremely well which makes it good for introducing foreigners to the best of British hand pulled ales (warm beer? what? it is nicely chilled to cellar temperature).

Why many return, though, is for the food. The portions are large and beautifully cooked. Nothing clever, but the cook is a Glaswegian ex-butcher who not only knows his meat but also serves a good size bowl of steamed veggies with pretty much everything. Even the one regular vegetarian dish (Vegetable and Stilton pie) comes with a bowl of veggies. The chips are crisp, the pies wholesome and the steak and kidney pudding tremendous. The yellow paper specials board stuck to the wall changes weekly, unless too many things get crossed off and they have to start again.

Everything that can be made on the premises is, including the mayonnaise, many of the sauces and those other things they put on your table when you order stuff.

The pub is hard to find –saying it is just off the junction of the A3 and A2, follow the ancient Roman road and turn left at Nabraska St will lead to confusion in the rabbit warren of old streets. However, you can nearly always get a seat (although often you share a table) in this Victorian style pub done well.

Getting There: Borough Tube, Northern Line

Who should eat there: Quiet types

Dining Style: It is a pub

Price: £17pp including 2 pints of beer

Quality: Best pub food in the area

Would I go Back: Yep, I think that most people there are regulars

Eating Out with the Phoenician Trader Archive

Phoenician Trader

04.04.11 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A83141057

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more