Eating Out with the Phoenician Trader: Windy Point

0 Conversations

A sizzling meal

Windy Point, Australia

One professional food reviewer who is of no importance otherwise said that the quality of a restaurant's food is inversely proportional to the quality of its view. Windy Point has astonishing views – really amazing, as in, world weary travellers gasp amazing. The restaurant has edgy, wonderful food. It also has a cafe downstairs that I do not recommend.

Fusion food has different meanings in different places. In Australia it means traditional British and Mediterranean food with lots of chilli, coriander and lightly cooked green vegetables. South east Asian ingredients mixed with lamb and breads. Greek and Italian flavours mixed with trad English. The result can be a cool mixture of the best of European flavours suited to a hot climate and relaxed eating.

This is largely what you get at Windy Point; many traditional favourites are on the menu for choosing, but the interest lies elsewhere. They do a tasting menu which is worth asking for (it is not always advertised) and they will provide matched wines too, if you ask, from a fairly extensive cellar.

My advice is to book long in advance because the tables are allocated in order of booking. Then make sure you have a return taxi booked, cash in your pocket, a beautiful companion at your side and somewhere pleasant to go to afterwards. Relax into the evening. Learn something about Australian wine. Learn something interesting about your companion!

On a last note, remember that this isn't Paris and Australian waiters may be skilled but they really do have minds of their own. Let this improve your dining experience – treat them with respect and you will do well.

Getting There: Catch a cab – it is half way up a mountain.

Who should eat there: Romantic couples or large festive family gatherings.

Dining Style: Fine Australian Fusion.

Price: £50pp including some very decent Australian wines.

Quality: Very good.

Would I go Back: Oh yes and I would send my bother, his brother ...

Eating Out with the Phoenician Trader Archive

Phoenician Trader

21.03.11 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A82734375

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more