Eating Out with the Phoenician Trader: Lucia's Pizzeria

0 Conversations

A sizzling meal

Lucia's Pizzeria

In a corner of one of the greatest food markets in the world – some rate it not far behind Boqueria Market in Barcelona, is a little café – half in its own shop space and half under the main food market roof. It is called Lucia's, named for the lady for whom it was bought and who ran it for many years. It is now run by her daughters, their friends and family.

The food is traditional Australia/Italian – pizzas, pastas and salads. There is a small range of traditional cakes and wines by the glass. The coffee is excellent and for many people the only thing they buy there. In common with the best cafés, wherever in the world they are, only one person works the coffee machine in a shift. The orders get queued next to them and they go through them sequentially. If they need a break for a chat or to go to the loo, then everybody waits. The system has its downsides but such is the price of quality.

Friday night is the late night for the market and then, along with Saturday morning, is peak time to drop past. The market does not do fast or take away food so visitors share the space with large shopping bags of fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, meats, breads and, especially on Saturday, children. On weekdays the place is much quieter, the sound of forklifts moving about among the vegetable stalls being the loudest sound, but it still remains a good place for a proper meal at a reasonable price.

Getting There: It is in the South Eastern corner of the Adelaide Central Market (easy to get to).

Who should eat there:Food shoppers.

Dining Style: Traditional Italian/Australian café.

Price: Allow £5 to 10pp but you can spend a bit more if you want.

Quality: Very good

Would I go Back: Weekly

Eating Out with the Phoenician Trader Archive

Phoenician Trader

28.02.11 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A81772635

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more