Pawhuska, Oklahoma, USA

1 Conversation


Decayed as it is, Pawhuska has an air of history. Its downtown is one of attractive, though derelict, buildings built of red brick. Pawhuska is the capitol of the Osage Indian Nation and gateway to the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve. It is a town with a vibrant, violent past; one of fame and infamy. In the 1920s it had a population of about 10,000, now it is home to approximately 3,500. Decayed it may be, but it is showing signs of renewed vigour.

Location


Pawhuska is located at the intersection of State Highways 99 & 11 with US Highway 60, about 25 miles west of Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and 70 miles north northwest of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Inception


Pawhuska was established circa 1879 when the Osage tribe was forced by Congress to move from its homelands in Kansas to new land bought from the Cherokees in the Indian Territory, which is now Oklahoma. The new town was given the name Pa-Hu-Ska in honour of an Osage chief, it is a name that translates to hair colour white.

Restaurants


Pawhuska has several eateries that cater to a broader range of tastes than is usual in this part of the country. It doesn't seem to matter where you go in the world, a Chinese restaurant is never far away; in Pawhusks the Chinese restaurant is on the west side of Kihekah Avenue, just north of the triangular building that divides the road; though Fu-Manchu has not dined there, he has looked through the glass door at dining tables laid with linen, cutlery, and glassware.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A815483

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more