A Conversation for Notes From a Small Planet

Bush's War

Post 1

Britwannabe {......... }

I don't think anyone here thinks that the impending war is about anything other that George W. finishing up his daddy's mess. The war mongers and profiteers are the only ones egging him on. I think his popularity will drop if(when) the war gets started.


Bush's War

Post 2

Ormondroyd

That's very interesting. Looking at the BBC News Talking Point discussions, a lot of the Americans who've posted have backed a war, though many other Americans have strongly disagreed. But hardly any non-Americans in those discussions have backed Bush.

There was an interesting story in 'The Guardian' (one of Britain's most reliable newspapers) this morning claiming that the UK government had conducted research into British voters' attitude to Bush, and to the prospect of British troops joining in an attack on Iraq. It said that the responses were so overwhelmingly hostile to Bush and to British involvement in the proposed war that the government didn't want to make the full results of the research public.


Bush's War

Post 3

Researcher 197324

I agree with the atricle and everything you said, I live in middle of the United States and was very upset when Bush won the election with out have a popular mandate. Then Sept. 11th came around and almost everyone thought him a wonderful man who can do no wrong. Then we have people here in America like Bill Marr who had a great show, and then lost it for saying an opinone that the goverment did not like. Also there are stories going around here in places like the New York Times and Washington Post, that say the plans of attack. There are also reports that how he attacked the Taliban were made by the Clinton Adminstration. I must say that I agree with all that is said in the atticle and I like that the British people are still a little free thinking even if most of the people here are not.


Bush's War

Post 4

starbirth

Bill Marr {politically incorrect} was a show that could be very wity when he could keep control over the moderation.

I can not help thinking of the ironey that it was his political incorrect statement with his arogance and stupidity that cut his own throat.

Just to let you know it was not the goverment that took his show it was no network or sponser wanted to touch him after his remarks that it was to the effect {it is the US military who are cowards droping bombs from 10,000 feet} He said this after after 9/11 as our troops were going after the terrorist {and the taliban who supported them} and risking their lives. We had been attacked and were at war and in many american eyes he was branded a traitor. {he certainly is a an idiot}


Bush's War

Post 5

Britwannabe {......... }

An interesting point: Yesterday, American networks ran with the story that Saddam had made a speech in which he said that anyone who attacks Iraq will be 'digging their own grave' on the BBC World news it showed Saddam making the same speech but the V.O. was that he had said he was complying with the weapon inspections. The media is truly powerful especially when they are translting as well as reporting.


Bush's War

Post 6

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

My personal opinion of the Bush administration is I seems so poorly thought out, if the goverment of one of the most powerfull nations can see the consiquenses of there actions, I'm not suprised publics of all other countries have such low opinions,

(It a shame we can't just send the bush adminsitation in army uniformest over instead of real fighters, maby it would teach then a leson about the real world)

-- DoctorMO --


Bush's War

Post 7

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

I don't normaly post mistakes but I feel this ones important, I meant 'can't' not 'can' in the 25th word of the first paragraph. sorry

--- DoctorMO --


Bush's War

Post 8

Researcher 185550

Ooh, ooh, lightening the mood a bit, did any of you ever see the "Bush or chimp" page? It was great. Really great.


Bush's War

Post 9

Researcher 185550

And returning to seriousness, regime change sounds like the reason for America's involvement in Vietnam. US government didn't like communism spreading and didn't want to let free elections take place, you all know the story. How long before there are military "advisors" in Iraq?


Bush's War

Post 10

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Altough it's not as if it's comunism now though? which realy can't be compeared to Terrorism or any other kind of thing they want to genralise as 'the middle east'

-- DoctorMO --


Bush's War

Post 11

Britwannabe {......... }

Its about the oil and which puppet government is willing to sell it cheaply to the west. Religions and personal freedoms keep getting in the way. Now if you'll excuse me I have to drive my Ford Excursion to the nearest fueling station.


Bush's War

Post 12

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

hmmm, Shell and Co can't last forever on middle east oil, berhaps there missing a link? because with no future, how can you plan? I keep on getting this mental picture of oil companies scrabling for the last few drops of oil.

If thats all this is based on, couldn't we just use the money to come up with an alternitive?

-- DoctoRMO --


Bush's War

Post 13

Menza

"I keep on getting this mental picture of oil companies scrabling for the last few drops of oil."

And if the US has its way those last few barrels will be from Alaska, which it will charge a fortune for.


Bush's War

Post 14

Researcher 185550

No it's not communism, true enough. It's a corrupt dictatorship.

Surely we could use ethanol instead?


Bush's War

Post 15

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

There are a few alt's that we already know of, but why should car makers stop making them for petrol, why should plastics be made from rapeseed oil?

-- DoctorMO --


Bush's War

Post 16

Researcher 198131

What’s really scary is that if America did decide to go to war with Iraq, Australia would most probably send troops. (This is doubly scary considering my 17-year-old nephew is joining the defence forces.)
Have you ever seen that Warner Brothers cartoon with the big dog that has the little dog bouncing around it? The little one saying, “What are we gonna do today, Chester, huh? Huh?” (or some such thing). This reminds me of the Australian and US governments. (Guess which is which.)

One more thing, is it just me or do other people hate the term ‘Leader of the free world’ as applied to the President of the US?


Bush's War

Post 17

Ormondroyd

No, it definitely isn't just you. It's not as if Bush was ever elected into that position. Still, not being fairly elected never seems to hold him back... smiley - steam


Bush's War

Post 18

Menza

I think "Dictator to the free world" would be more appropriate. Seeing as he seems to like to set other countries policies.


Bush's War

Post 19

Researcher 185550

It annoys me too. What also annoys me are references to the "Great American people/nation" and "The American people will not stand for this. It is the American way". It's not just Americans, it's just that that's where I hear it most often.


Bush's War

Post 20

Reciprocal Episkypos Connerie II

I guess it all comes down to what was commented earlier about the media... after 9/11, one of the most surprising things to a lot of Americans was that the world didn't all love them, becuase the media is all aligned to be incredibly pro-American. As is the education system, and the political system, etc. Patriotism is one of the most damaging psychohistorial (a much better word than sociological) factors in the world today


Key: Complain about this post