Lady Wulfruna and the origins of Wolverhampton

0 Conversations

Little is truly known of Lady Wulfruna, a figure of great importance to the West Midlands city of Wolverhampton. It is believed by some that she was the sister of King Edgar, who died in 975 AD. She was granted a town charter by King Aethelred the Unready in 985 AD for the settlement ( believed to have existed there in one way or another since 1200 BC ) that would evolve into Wolverhampton and given permission to grant land to others at will. In 995 AD, she is believed to have given away a small area of land for a monastery to be built at the high point of the town, which during the 14th century was replaced by St Peters Church and Gardens, which stands to this day.

Opinion on whether the city is named after Lady Wulfruna is split, the city was once believed to be called Wulfrun Heantun, which concievebly could have developed into the word "Wolverhampton". Others have argued that the literal meaning of the word Wolverhampton is "Town on the Hill", which would suggest that the "Wolver" section is some how derived from an ancient word for Hill, given that Hampton is a corruption of the word "Heantun", a Saxon word for settlement.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A799563

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more