A Conversation for Matches: a story of light and dark

A798834 - Matches - a short history

Post 41

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Gnomon,

I've made all the amendments you suggested except the one about the sticks with sulphur as my information says they *were* used to get fires going which had already been lit, as well as to light things like chandeliers.

Hell,

I didn't know that. Not sure whether to include it. Sounds a bit dangerous, although if you really need a match to be lit, it could be a handy hint. Perhaps a footnote.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A798834 - Matches - a short history

Post 42

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Footnote added.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A798834 - Matches - a short history

Post 43

Dr Hell

smiley - cheers


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 44

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 45

Gnomon - time to move on

Congratulations, ZSF! smiley - bubbly

I wasn't suggesting that your facts were wrong in that sentence about sticks of sulphur. I was suggesting that the meaning was not clear and that it should be rephrased to make it clearer.

Perhaps the sub-editor will consider this.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 46

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Thanks Gnomon!smiley - biggrinsmiley - cheers

I misunderstood your meaning there. If I get time tomorrow before going to work I'll look at it again, unless the Sub has been very quick off the mark - some are!

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A798834 - Matches - a short history

Post 47

chumahan

Interesting facts, but I am a bit unclear about a certain aspect of the entry. When the article states that "a match is a "yard" long fuse that..."(etc, I don't have the material in front of me) is this a definition of the term "MATCH?"

When did the term "Match" become the common-usage name for these devices?

c-


A798834 - Matches - a short history

Post 48

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

This entry has now made its way into the Edited Guide, and there's a forum attached to it where you can ask that question A805349


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Matches: a story of light and dark

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more