Thiessen polygons

1 Conversation

What are Thiessen polygons?


Also known as Voronoi networks1 and Delaunay triangulations2, Thiessen polygons were independently discovered in several fields of study including climatology and geography. The are named after a climatologist who used them to perform a tranformation from point climate stations to watersheds.

Thiessen polygons can be used to describe the area of influence of a point in a set of points. If you take a set of points and connect each point to its nearest neighbour, you have what's called a triangulated irregular network (TIN). If you bisect3 each connecting line segment perpendicularly4 and create closed polygons with the perpendicular bisectors, the result will be a set of Thiessen polygons. The area contained in each polygon is closer to the point the polygon is based on than any other point in the dataset.

What are they used for?


If you have a set of features or events that are represented as points and you wish to determine the area of influence of each individual event or feature, you can create a set of Thiessen polygons based on the points.

An example


Suppose you work for a city and you want to know the catchment area5 for each library in your city. If you have a library with a very large catchment area, you might want to consider building a new library.

There are several different ways you can calculate this, depending on how much you know about each library and how much time and money you have.

You could simply say that the catchment area for each library is a circle with a radius of 5km, centred on each library. However, if you have two libraries closer than 5km to each other, you have overlap, which may be accurate, but doesn't give you an exclusive zone for each library. If the libraries are spread out, you will have areas which are not in the catchment zone for any library6. So, while it's easy to make circles (and you don't even need a computer to make them), the results will be poor, at best.

You could conduct a survey of library patrons and find out where they live. Then you can plot the dots and try to create a choropleth map7. The downside to this is that you'll have to make sure people only respond at one library. Other problems include the fact that some people don't like surveys for whatever reason and will not answer or will lie about where they live. Surveys are also expensive and take time to conduct. You'd also have to consider the time of year because there's probably a seasonality. You might also receive responses from people who go to a library that's on the way to work, rather than the one that's nearest to their home.

A well-run survey can give you very high quality data, but at the cost of both time and money.

Or you could create Thiessen polygons for each library. This could reveal libraries where you might want to run a survey to better define the catchment areas for those branches in particular. Actually performing a Thiessen polygon operation in a GIS8 is a relatively trivial matter once you have your points, so you're probably going to maximise the returns on time and money, both of which will be small compared to running a survey. And if you want to improve on the quality of the catchment area depictions, you could impose your city's road network so that the catchment areas are defined by roads rather than pure polygon boundaries.

Technical discussion of the theory of Thiessen polygons

Note: This section uses symbols that may not be properly displayed in all browsers.
Boots9 formally describes Thiessen polygons thus:


Consider a set, S, of n labelled points in the plane where
S = { p1, p2, … pn }

With each point, pi, in S we associate all locations, x, in the plane which are closer to pi than to any other point, pj, in S(j≠i). The result is to create a Thiessen polygon, Pi. More formally, if d(x,i) is the euclidean distance from x to pi then
Pi = { x|d(x,i) ≤ d(x,j); j ∈ S, j ≠ i}

It is possible that x is equidistant from a pair of points in which case it will lie on the boundary of Pi. In addition, x may be equidistant from three or more points so that it forms one of the vertices of Pi.

If Thiessen polygons are created for all points in S the resulting set of polygons,
{ P1, P2, … Pn },

forms a unique, contiguous, space-exhaustive tessellation known as the Thiessen (Voronoi) diagram of S, V(S).

In other words, the area contained in a Thiessen polygon is likely to be more representative of the point the polygon is based on than of any other point in the set.

Further reading


Should you wish to learn more about Thiessen polygons, here is a short bilbliography you may find useful:
  • Boots, B. N., Quantitative analysis in geography, Waterloo lectures in geography; v.3 (Waterloo: University of Waterloo)
  • Nicholas R. Chrisman, Exploring geographic information systems
  • Michael N. DeMers, Fundamentals of geographic information systems
  • D.J. Maguire, Michael F. Goodchild and David W. Rhind, Geographical information systems: Principles and applications
1A set of lines that divides a plane into the area closest to each of a set of points. The lines are perpendicular bisectors of the lines connecting nearest points2A network that connects each point in a set of points to its nearest neighbours; topological dual of the Voronoi network3Divide the line segment into two pieces of equal length (i.e. at the mid-point)4at right angles5In this example, the area where people come from to go to the library.6In fact, if you can't overlap the circles, there will always be areas which are not in any catchment area.7A choropleth map is a map that shows areas that have the same characteristics. An excellent example of how to make a choropleth map may be found at teachingideas.co.uk8The term Geographic Information System(GIS) refers to both a collection of spatial information and to the software and hardware you use to manipulate this collection of information. See also: A3132649Boots, B. N. (1987). Quantitative analysis in geography, Waterloo lectures in geography; v.3 (Waterloo: University of Waterloo)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A794117

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more