The h2g2 Definitions Project

7 Conversations

An old-style microphone in front of a speech bubble with antiquated words and phrases


For every phrase and every word there should be a meaning. This doesn't mean that it should make sense.


The h2g2 Definitions Project aims to put the fun back in lexicography; to make semantics shine with new found meaning. There are many strange terms in common use in the world and on-site and they haven't yet been defined. This project opens up the floor to you, all you lucky researchers, to debate the One True Meaning of numerous phrases. If there is something you've always wondered how to use in your prose, feel free to ask everyone here for their thoughts.


Each week, one or more of the threads will be compiled into an article. This article will be placed in the h2g2 Unofficial Dictionary of the Strange and Bizarre and the contributers credited.


No word or term or phrase is too esoteric or strange to be defined by us. Together we will make sense of the world and learn more vocabulary than your average Durham English student. Help us by hunting down terms for us to define or contribute by helping devise a good definition. It doesn't matter whether the phrase was heard on TV, read in a thread or found deep inside your imagination, anything goes.

How do I submit a request?


To ask for a definition, just start a new thread in the forum hanging off this page with a subject of the term you want defined; e.g. "VLRA -- Very Large Rabbit Array". The body of the request should introduce the term for the benefit of those who may not have heard of it before. From then on, let the community process take over.

Words of the Week


This section will contain the words added to the dictionary this week. Come and get your name on one of these articles and call yourself a lexicographer.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A789645

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more