A Conversation for Conventional Thinking - Part Three

Still too long

Post 21

Awix

Part of me thinks that people wouldn't stand for it in this day and age... part of me suspects that life might go on pretty much as before... and a tiny bit is shouting that benevolent despotism might be a big improvement (given that a lot of good and necessary measures never get mentioned by elected officials as the road lobby, the Murdoch press, etc, would crucify anyone who did).

The 'would you elect Tony Blair' objection doesn't cut much ice with me. Just because (for example) it's theoretically possible for Peter Stringfellow to get elected to Parliament and become Prime Minister, doesn't make the idea of an elected parliament a bad one. If someone's that onjectionable then they probably wouldn't get elected in the first place.


Still too long

Post 22

Catwoman

(Awix avoids looking in the direction of France while writing the previous post)


Still too long

Post 23

TIMELORD

One thing that as always bothered me is that the British people have no say who is prime minister he/she is not elected by the people but by the party.


Still too long

Post 24

Catwoman

That's cos in theory all the MPs have a say in what happens. (don't mention the whips, of course)


Still too long

Post 25

Awix

What about France? M. Le Pen was (fairly massively) defeated. That's a pro-me, point, surely?

There are a couple of holes in the UK system: the way the governing party gets to choose the election date (which allowed both Thatch and Lionel to go to the country at times when their poll ratings were high), and the way the (once again) ruling party can - theoretically -change its leader (the PM!) simply in order to stay electable, without consulting the people (as happened in 1990).


Still too long

Post 26

Catwoman

In France the choice was allegedly betwee a crook and a nasty nasty man. Basically you wouldn't really want either of them if there was a choice.


Still too long

Post 27

Awix

Democracy's a terrible system, but it's still supposedly the best one.

And let's not forget that if the French president is a crook or a nasty nasty man, the French can get shot of him at the next election. If a raving maniac or irresponsible meddler ascends to the British throne, we're stuck with them for as long as they're breathing.


Still too long

Post 28

Catwoman

Yes but at least we'll have a relatively powerless raving meddler.

"Democracy is the worst system, except for all of the others"


Still too long

Post 29

Awix

Paraphrases on stun! smiley - smiley

If the monarch wanted to they could cause the elected government an awful lot of trouble: witholding royal assent, interfering in national politics, wilfully dissolving parliament willy-nilly. Just cos the Queen doesn't use her power doesn't mean she doesn't have any.


Still too long

Post 30

Catwoman

They'd probably say 'no' if she tried anything too stupid. It's all in the mind.


Still too long

Post 31

Awix

The moment someone says 'no' to the monarch's use of their powers the whole British state grinds to a halt. Plus, you've just made the PM an elected dictator. That's what comes of not having a written constitution.


Still too long

Post 32

Catwoman

Bleugh. I don't even like politics, mostly I just let it run. I'll get involved when it gets bad enough that I care. (that sounds very apathetic, but tough)

I quit.


Still too long

Post 33

Awix

Sorry.


Still too long

Post 34

TIMELORD

Did you know that England is the only country in Europe not to have its own government.


Still too long

Post 35

Catwoman

Is this gonna be a joke re europe or does house of commons not do anything?


Still too long

Post 36

Awix

I think TL's point will be that the Houses of Parliament govern the whole of the UK, not specifically England. Scotland Wales and Ireland all have dedicated regional assemblies but not England. No doubt the West Lothian question is gonna get namechecked again... smiley - smiley


Still too long

Post 37

TIMELORD

We do have the local councils,then the house of commons,the house of lord,the queen then euro MPs but unlike Scotland ireland and wales we don't have are own parliament don't you think that we need that sixth line of red tape to hold things up even more.


Still too long

Post 38

Awix

Not sure that's *quite* how the chain of command runs, but an English national assembly would be entirely logical given the existence of similar bodies in the other countries of the UK. The H of P would never stand for it, of course...


Still too long

Post 39

Catwoman

Bleugh.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Conventional Thinking - Part Three

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more