Suggested change to Peer Review Intro page

3 Conversations

pretend all the links at the top are here

Welcome to Peer Review, the area of h2g2 where you help us to decide which entries go into the Edited Guide. You can comment on any of the entries in here, and if the comments on an entry are generally positive, one of the Scouts may pick it for inclusion in the Edited Guide.

For a detailed explanation of the Review Forums system, including how to submit one of your own entries (or someone else's) to Peer Review, please read the Review Forums FAQ.

If you would like to put your entry into Peer Review, please read (link)this page(link) which covers writing for the Edited guide and the Writing Guidelines which edited entries usually need to follow.

How to comment in Peer Review

To comment on an entry in Peer Review, the first thing you need to do is read the entry. Sounds obvious, but people have been known to comment on entries without reading them, which is, if nothing else, rude to the author who has spent their time writing it. Click on the title, or the number, in the list below1, and read on!

Once you've read the entry, don't click "Discuss this entry" - comments about should be made in the Peer Review thread, not below the entry itself. Instead, click "Back", then click on the number under "Last Posted" - this will take you to the Peer Review comment thread. You can add your comments there, as with any other conversation on h2g2, by clicking "Reply" to the last posting and typing your comment in the box.

Important Notes

Before you comment on an entry in Peer Review, consider the following points:

  • Is it the author's first entry? (You can check their personal space to find out). If so, be gentle in your criticism - if they're really going wrong you may wish to direct them to the Writing Guidelines for Edited Entries. Remember, everyone wrote their first entry once!
  • Have a read of the Peer Review backlog - if you spotted a mistake or omission, it might already have been pointed out and dealt with.
  • If you like the entry - say so! Everyone likes compliments.
  • If you don't like it, try to make your criticism specific. Simply posting "I hated this, it's rubbish", doesn't give the author much of a clue what they may be doing wrong.
  • Don't be too obsessive about typos - if the entry is picked, the subeditor should sort these out. Concentrate on commenting on the content.
  • Ask yourself if you actually understand the entry? Guide Entries are aimed, in the main, at the educated layman, so if you didn't understand it, it may be a failing of the author. On the other hand, it might be YOU - so ask for an explanation. Be tactful - at least at first...
  • Stay subscribed to the thread. Once you've commented, keep an eye on what others are saying. It may be the start of an interesting conversation...
  • If the entry gets picked, and particularly if it is the authors first, pop back and congratulate them!
1Obviously if this is the Peer Review page, the list will appear below

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A775776

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more