Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons - the TV Series

1 Conversation

THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS... WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTHMEN...

The year is 2068. During a survey of the planet Mars, Captain Black, top agent of Earth's security agency, Spectrum, stumbles across an alien city. At first, it appears to be deserted, but when an innocent scanner turns to face the human craft, Black panics and orders for the city to be destroyed. Unbeknownst to the humans, the city is the home of the Mysterons, an invisible race of intelligent and peaceful beings who have the power to recreate all matter if it is destroyed (a science they call retrometabolism). They rebuild the ruined city in an instant. But, furious at the unprovoked attack upon them, they embark on a course of retaliation. First, they possess Captain Black and use him as their spy on Earth. Then, they take control of two other agents here on Earth - Captain Brown and Captain Scarlet. Brown is used in an unsuccessful attack on the World President and destroyed, but when the mysteronised Scarlet is gunned down by fellow agent Captain Blue, a freak effect occurs. Though Scarlet regains control of his body and reverts to human, he also retains some of his Mysteron powers - he is now indestructible! having made a full recovery from his ordeal, he is allowed to continue in Spectrum as Earth's greatest weapon against the Mysteron threat...

Background

Since the late 1950s, the name 'Gerry Anderson' has been synonymous with action-packed thrill-a-minute TV dramas that starred puppets and miniature sets rather than live actors and real locations. Although this was something that Anderson himself was resentful of (for most of his career, he'd had more 'lofty' ambitions to produce films for 'grown-ups' rather than children's TV), he and his team cornered the market with expensive-looking TV series that had kids and adults alike on the edge of their seats. With the support of Sir Lew Grade1 of ABC2, Anderson had created programmes, such as Fireball XL5, Stingray and Thunderbirds, which introduced audiences to stories that, although essentially little more than string-operated marionette shows, nevertheless had tight plots and three-dimensional characters that audiences could believe in.

By 1967, Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds had completed its first run on British TV. Although well-received in its home country, it had not gone down as well in the all-important American market, due to the inability to secure it a strong networked timeslot. Lew Grade advised Anderson to cut his losses and come up with a new concept. The result was an anti-terrorism science fiction series called Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons.

S.I.G. (Spectrum is Green!)

The concept behind the show was rather complex for a supposed 'children's show'3 was that, after spending a short time as a Mysteron, Captain Scarlet would revert to human only to learn that somehow he has become indestructible. In other words, he could be shot, stabbed or blown up and suffer any number of 'fatal' wounds only to recover and continue the fight against Earth's enemy. In short, it provided the series' writers with a reset button every week.

Like other Anderson shows, the series would revolve around a pan-global organisation, in this case, Spectrum, a multicultural security force sent to areas of international concern to hopefully protect the Mysteron's latest target from attack. With their callsign of 'Spectrum is Green' (or simply S.I.G), the agents were all assigned a colour as their code-name, with all agents reporting to the invariably desk-bound Colonel White.

Production

Anderson's innovative puppets had always been the most sophisticated ever seen. small electrical impulses gave the puppets synchronised lip-synch - the sound from the prerecorded voice track would be sent down a thin wire to a circuit inside the puppet that could make the lip move open or shut in time to the soundtrack. The eyes could also be radio-controlled to look left and right and all of the other movements were handled via the strings by puppeteers who stood on gantries high above the set. Sadly, partly due to expectations of what puppets should look like, and partly to accommodate the intricate workings of the puppet's circuitry, the stars of Anderson's shows tended to suffer from a problem common with many 'real' actors - big heads! This gave the puppets a caricatured look with enlarged heads on comparatively small bodies.

For Captain Scarlet, however, the decision was made to make the puppets more believable , 1:3 scale compared to a full-sized human. out went the big heads and in came smaller, more realistically proportioned ones. Unfortunately, as the new puppets were so light, they were also more difficult to control. they were also less emotive than their predecessors, making them appear less emotionally expansive. The puppeteers found themselves being called on to contribute less and less as the directors got round the limitations of the 'stars' by simply having them sitting down or standing stationary for much of the show.

One of the other changes for this show was a more gritty, dark, 'adult' tone aimed at an older audience to the usual Supermarionation4 style: stories became more violent; puppets were given facial expressions that showed they were in pain; blood was seen for the first time; and at least one character died a grisly death in every episode. As a consequence, after its initial run, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons wasn't repeated on ITV until the mid-1980s...

The Series

32 x 30 Minute Episodes (colour) - first broadcast from September, 1967.

  • A Century 21 Production in association with ATV for ITC Worldwide distribution.
  • Series created by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson.
  • Executive Producer: Gerry Anderson
  • Producer: Reg Hill
  • Supervising Director: Desmond Saunders
  • Music and electronic effects: Barry Gray
  • Supervising Art Director: Bob Bell
  • Special Effects Supervisor: Derek Meddings
  • Script Editor: Tony Barwick
  • Puppetry Coordinator: Mary Turner
  • Puppetry Supervision: Christine Glandville

The Episodes

Each episode would begin with the ominous title sequence. A shot of a dark, lonely alley-way at night. We see the events from the viewpoint of an unseen gunman. As he slowly makes his way down the alley-way, he spins round to see a man in a red military uniform. The unseen man unleashes a hail of bullets, but his target remains unharmed as he in turn calmly raises his gun and fires a single shot. We hear the gunman's grunt as he falls dead to the floor. Cut to a close-up of our hero, the man 'fate has made indestructible. his name - Captain Scarlet'. Cue the distinctive seven-beat signature tune played on a tympani drum. after a brief teaser, which would set up the situation of the episode, we would finally hear a deep, undead voice - the 'voice of the Mysterons', who issue their latest warning and restate their aim of retaliation with the chilling words 'WE WILL BE AVENGED...'

Note: The episodes do not have an official running order, aside from 'The Mysterons' appearing first and 'The Inquisition' appearing last. The episodes are presented here in the recommended transmission order, with the production order in brackets after the title.

1. 'The Mysterons' (1)

  • Teleplay by Gerry & Sylvia Anderson
  • Directed by Desmond Saunders

'Our first act of retaliation will be to assassinate your World President.'

2. 'Winged Assassins' (2)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by David Lane

'We will assassinate the Director General of the United Asian Republic.'

3. 'Big Ben Strikes Again' (3)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Brian Burgess

'Our next act of retaliation will be to destroy the city of London.'

4. 'Manhunt' (5)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Alan Perry

No specific threat was issued in this episode, just a warning that their retaliation would be '...slow, but nonetheless effective'.

5. 'Avalanche' (11)

  • Teleplay by Shane Rimmer
  • Directed by Brian Burgess

'We will destroy key-links in your Frost Line Outer Space Defence System.'

6. 'White As Snow' (8)

  • Teleplay by Peter Curran & David Williams
  • Directed by Robert Lynn

'Our next act of retaliation will be to kill the Commander in Chief of Spectrum, Colonel White.'

7. 'The Trap' (17)

  • Teleplay by Alan Pattillo
  • Directed by Alan Perry

'At the appointed hour, as the clock is chiming, the wings of the world will be clipped.'

8. 'Operation Time' (6)

  • Teleplay by Richard Conway & Stephen J Mattick
  • Directed by Ken Turner

'Our next act of retaliation will be to kill time.'

9. 'Spectrum Strikes Back' (10)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Ken Turner

'You will never solve the mystery of the Mysterons.'

10. 'Special Assignment' (20)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Robert Lynn

'We intend to obliterate the sub-continent of North America.'

11. 'The Heart of New York' (13)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Alan Perry

'We've seen the greed and corruption of the world in which you live and will take our revenge upon it.'

12. 'Lunarville 7' (16)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Robert Lynn

'We have no quarrel with the moon and we accept their offer of friendship.'

13. Point 783 (4)

  • Teleplay by Peter Curran & David Williams
  • Directed by Robert Lynn

'We shall destroy the Supreme Commander of Earth Forces within the next twenty-four hours.'

14. 'Model Spy' (18)

  • Teleplay by Bill Hedley
  • Directed by Ken Turner

'We are about to attack the House of Verdain.'

15. 'Seek and Destroy' (9)

  • Teleplay by Peter Curran & David Williams
  • Directed by Alan Perry

'We intend to kill one of the Spectrum Angels.'

16. 'Renegade Rocket' (7)

  • Teleplay by Ralph Hart
  • Directed by Brian Burgess

'We are going to launch one of your own incendiary rockets and you will have no way of knowing its target.'

17. 'Crater 101' (22)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Ken Turner

'Although you have discovered our complex on the moon, it will never reveal its secrets.'

18. 'Shadow of Fear' (12)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Robert Lynn

'You will never discover the secret of the Mysterons.'

19. 'Dangerous Rendezvous' (19)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Brian Burgess

'Spectrum Headquarters Cloudbase will be destroyed at midnight.'

20. 'Fire at Rig 15' (14)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Brian Burgess

'We intend to immobilise the whole of Spectrum.'

21. 'Treble Cross' (29)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Alan Perry

'We will destroy the world capital - Futura City.'

22. 'Flight 104' (25)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Robert Lynn

'The conference at Lake Toma will be sabotaged.'

23. 'Place of Angels' (21)

  • Teleplay by Leo Eaton
  • Directed by Leo Eaton

'We will destroy the place of the Angels.'

24. 'Noose of Ice' (26)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Ken Turner

'We will make sure that you never return to our planet, Mars.'

25. 'Expo 2068' (23)

  • Teleplay by Shane Rimmer
  • Directed by Leo Eaton

'Disaster will strike the Atlantic seaboard of North America. We will deal a heavy blow to the prestige of the world.'

26. 'The Launching' (15)

  • Teleplay by Peter Curran & David Williams
  • Directed by Brian Burgess

'We will destroy President Roberts within the next twelve hours.'

27. 'Codename Europa' (27)

  • Teleplay by David Lee
  • Directed by Alan Perry

'The triumvirate of Europe will be destroyed.'

28. 'Inferno' (32)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick & Shane Rimmer
  • Directed by Alan Perry

'Our next act of retaliation will be to destroy the complex at Najama.'

29. 'Traitor' (24)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Alan Perry

'The Spectrum organisation will be torn apart from within.'

30. 'Flight to Atlantica' (28)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Leo Eaton

'We intend to destroy the World Navy complex at Atlantica.'

31. 'Attack on Cloudbase' (30)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Ken Turner

'We will destroy Cloudbase.'

32. 'The Inquisition' (31)

  • Teleplay by Tony Barwick
  • Directed by Ken Turner

'One of the members of Spectrum will betray you all.'

'Leading the Fight' - the Characters

Captain Scarlet (voiced by Francis Matthews)

Paul Metcalfe, born 17 December, 2036, Scarlet was a student in Winchester University, gaining degrees in Technology, History and Mathematics. He then went to Westpoint - the famous American Military Academy. After his time in the World Army Air Force (WAAF), Scarlet joined Spectrum in 2066, where he gained his codename.

Captain Blue (Ed Bishop)

Adam Svenson, the cool blonde Bostonian was born on 26 August 2035, the son of a wealthy businessman. He attended Harvard University, before joining the World Aeronautic Society and then on to Spectrum. Blue is Scarlet's best friend and he has a soft spot for Symphony Angel.

Lieutenant Green (Cy Grant)

The Cloudbase Headquarters of Spectrum is controlled by Seymour Griffiths-known as Green. He was born in Trinidad, on 18 January 2041. Green has degrees in Music, Telecommunications and Electrical Engineering. Green worked for the World Aquanaut Security Patrol in Marineville, before he joined Spectrum. A willing Spectrum member-he often jumps to help out in the line of duty.

Captain White (Donald Grey)

Colonel White - real name Charles Gray - was born on 14 July 2017 and is head of Spectrum on Cloudbase. He has a strong devotion for his work, and gives little time to relaxation. He is a no-nonsense leader and disapproves of some of his agents' less conventional methods.

Colonel Black (Jeremy Wilkin/Donald Grey)

Captain Black, the man responsible for starting the 'War of Nerves' between Earth and Mars - and now an agent of The Mysterons - was born Conrad Turner on 17 March, 2029, in Manchester, England. Black saw active service in the WAAF, but was disfigured by a bomb explosion. His face was reconstructed, and he then transferred to the World Space Patrol where he commanded Fireball XL3. Black eventually transferred to Spectrum but after the incident on Mars he was reported as missing, presumed dead. Only later was it discovered that he was now under the control of the Mysterons, a dark figure, lurking in shadows, waiting to get revenge for his new masters.

Captain Ochre (Jeremy Wilkin)

Real name Richard Fraser, Ochre was born on 23 February, 2035. Turned down by the WAAF for his lack of qualifications, Ochre joined the World Police Corps and learned to fly in his spare time. Ochre drives the Spectrum VIP transporter.

Captain Grey (Paul Maxwell)

The Oldest of the Spectrum agents, Captain Grey (real name Bradley Holden) was born on 4 March 2033. He trained in the World Navy, then acted as Security Commander in the newly formed World Aquanaut Security Patrol5 (WASP) and then joined Spectrum.

Captain Magenta (Gary Files)

Born Patrick Donaghue on 20 May, 2034, in Dublin, Ireland, before emigrating to New York, Magenta is a graduate of Yale University. Magenta has degrees in Physics, Electrical Engineering and Information Technology. Although he has a criminal background-Spectrum believes he is a worthwhile addition to their team, due to his strength of character.

Doctor Fawn (Charles Tingwell)

Chief Medical Officer on Cloudbase, Doctor Fawn - real name Edward Wilkie - is a team member much needed in looking after Captain Scarlet, because although Scarlet can not be killed, he can be injured. Wilkie was born in Yalumba, Australia on 10 July, 2031.

Rhapsody Angel (Elizabeth Morgan)

Born Dianne Simms in Chelsea, London, on 20 April, 2043. Rhapsody gained degrees in Law and Sociology in London University.

Symphony Angel (Janna Hill)

Karen Wainwright, born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on 6 January, 2042. She attended Yale University before graduating early and being recruited by Spectrum.

Destiny Angel (Elizabeth Morgan)


Juliette Pointon, born 23 August, 2040, in Paris. After finishing her education in Rome, she joined the WAAF, and then on to Spectrum.

Harmony Angel (Lian-Shin)

Chan Kwan was born to Chinese parents in Tokyo, on 19 June, 2042. She has degrees in Physics and Aerodynamics, and ran her father's Air Taxi firm before joining Spectrum.

Melody Angel (Sylvia Anderson)

Magnolia Jones from the deep South, was born in Atlanta, Georgia on 10 January, 2043. She joined Spectrum from the WAAF.

Other character voices were supplied by Shane Rimmer, David Healy and Martin King.

Vehicles

Cloudbase

The headquarters of Spectrum and flying aircraft carrier, which hovers in the stratosphere.

Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle

The SPV was an unusual high-speed pursuit vehicle that was driven 'backwards' - ie, the driver faced in the opposite direction to that of the vehicle by using a reversed-image monitor. This was an innovative safety procedure in the event of a crash. SPVs are hidden in secret locations around the globe and can be called on at a moment's notice if required.

  • Speed: 200 mph
  • Length: 7.62 metres
  • Brakes: Magnetic Disc Reverse Thrust
  • Steering: Cylindrical Hydropneumatic

Spectrum Patrol Car

The standard vehicle for Spectrum agents on patrol.

  • Speed: 150 mph
  • Length: 5.5 metres
  • Bodywork: Fleetonium
  • Brakes: Electromagnetic Reverse Thrust

Angel Interceptor


Like a wing-mounted dart, these are hypersonic jets piloted by the skillful Angels.
  • Speed: 3,000 mph
  • Length: 18.18 metres
  • Wingspan: 10.66 metres
  • Weight: 18,189 kilos

Related h2g2 Entries

Further Reading

  • Official Captain Scarlet page hosted by Carlton, the current license-holders of the series.
  • The official appreciation society of the work of Gerry Anderson, Fanderson.
  • The homepage of Gerry Anderson's former wife, Sylvia, co-producer of the series.
  • A highly recommended fan site.
  • Be sure to visit the BBC Cult Captain Scarlet page.
1Legendary producer, Grade was a pioneer in the television industry, responsible for some of the biggest shows in TV history - including most of Anderson's output as well as action series like The Professionals and co-productions such as Jim Henson's Muppet Show.2One of the main independant franchises of the ITV network until the mid-1980s when it was taken over by Central.3Although Anderson was making the programme for a family audience, as with many of his later shows, the simple fact that his name was attached led many to mistakenly assume the programme was 'just for kids'.4A word Anderson coined to incorporate their 'super' new way of using marionettes in stories usually found in animation. 5The organisation that featured in Anderson's earlier series, Stingray.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A774849

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more