A Rough Guide to Caius College, Cambridge

5 Conversations

Name

Gonville and Caius College

Pronounced

Gone-vil and Keys

Stats

35% State school, 37% women (this may be a little out of date, the year starting Caius in 2002 were apparently the first to have more females than males).

Founded

Twice. 1348 Edmund Gonville. 1557 John Keys, who was so excited he changed his name into Latin, just to confuse future tourists.

Gates

Three. Gate of Humility, Gate of Virtue, Gate of Honour, and the unofficial Gate of Necessity (where the toilets are located).

Location

CB2 1TA, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England, Britain, Europe, Earth1. Within Cambridge, ask any harrassed-looking person under 21, they should be a student. Unfortunately, they will probably be a student of Trinity College, so they won't know, and won't understand why anyone would want to see any college other than their own (which charges admission). Instead, try looking at this helpful map which also shows you were Trinity is so that you can avoid it.

Ugly Building

Every college must have at least one, and Caius's is Harvey Court named after William Harvey (who discovered that blood flows round the body, rather than being created somewhere in the centre and breaking down once it got to the edges). At least it's hidden away over the other side of the river, near Queens Backs. A number of other colleges have Cripps Courts, such as this one in St John's College, presumably named after the architect, which tend to be slapped right in the middle of all the old buildings. One thing to remember about John's is that there's a traditional Cambridge song that states 'I'd rather be at Oxford than at John's', and just because you don't see why doesn't mean there isn't a reason. Oh, and a certain DNA went there, but the co-discoverer of the structure of DNA was at Caius. You can decide which is better, but I won't expect my college to come out on top on that basis.

Exciting Moment

'The Legend of the Austin Seven' has to be the best non-academic achievement in College history.

Women

Not until recently, sometime between 1965 and 1988, although the websites seem rather coy about actually saying when woman were first allowed in. Originally Fellows of the college (the equivalent of Oxford Dons) weren't even allowed to be married.

Random rest of this entry, we're under construction dontcha know?

If you're looking for a serious article about the college, my co-writer has taken it upon himself to make one here, so that leaves me free to be as silly as I want. And to write in the first person, because we all know that men are much better when working on only one thing at a time. And apparently they are MUCH better, since this entry has ended up being edited, and can now be found here, it was briefly on the front page, y'know.

Caius us a nice old pretty college with a 'cinderella tower' which provides numerous oppotunities for pranks, such as 'The Legend of the Austin Seven'. If you're thinking of coming to Cambrgde, however, and have no better reason to make choices between colleges than their aesthetic qualities, be aware that the majority of first-years live in the 60's-built multistorey carpark that is Harvey Court.

Unfortunately, if you know me (which you might) I'll never get around to writing this page properly. In theory it should contain interesting anecdotes and helpful advice about life at Caius. So if there are any Caians around please please please send me useful stuff. Actually, forget that, send neilfish useful stuff and me anything interesting.

1etc, etc, unfashionable western spiral arm of the galaxy, section ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, if you must

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A765335

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more