A Conversation for Learning Chess - an allegorical tale

Peer Review: A759729 - Learning Chess

Post 1

Frankiemouse - currently deciding on a new nickname tag

Entry: Learning Chess - A759729
Author: Frankiemouse -Defender of the Norwegianness of Fjords, Special Sincerity Squad - U189734

Appreciate any comments.


A759729 - Learning Chess

Post 2

Researcher 188007

Hiya Frankiemouse,

I like idea of telling a story - it provides a good introduction to the chess pieces and their moves. There's a bit more to learning how to play chess than just the moves, but it's a nice start. I don't suspect new players need to learn about the pawn's double move or en passant rule, or castling really, so those needn't be included.

You'll need to put a link to A73270 (the main Chess entry) somewhere.
Finally, perhaps you could change the title to 'Learning How Chess Pieces Move' or something similar.

All the best,
Jack
smiley - smiley


A759729 - Learning Chess

Post 3

Frankiemouse - currently deciding on a new nickname tag

Thanx for the comments.

Will do.

smiley - smiley


A759729 - Learning Chess

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Hi Frankiemouse!

I'm in the process of teaching chess (sporadically) to my six year old. I like the parable. I think the piece should be renamed 'Learning chess: a parable'.

Personally, I found that it was really easy to teach him how the pieces move. Getting past that has been a difficulty. Plus, he doesn't like his pieces being taken, even if I point out that he can take me back. This has resulted in him knocking all the pieces over.

(Now if you have any tips to get beyond that! I suspect I'll just have to wait a little until he matures.)

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A759729 - Learning Chess

Post 5

Frankiemouse - currently deciding on a new nickname tag

Thanks for the comments

I don't know what to do about teaching a child...um...not to behave like a child!!

Anyway, I like the Parable idea, but I think Allegory would be a closer idea.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 7

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Congrats!

smiley - smiley
Mikey


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Learning Chess - an allegorical tale

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more