Melvin Burgess

1 Conversation

Melvin Burgess

Melvin Burgess is one of the most influential writers in recent years. His books are famed for being highly controversial, and extremely captivating reads. Much of his success has been attributed to his ability to capture the minds of the older teenage generation, a group generally neglected by many authors.

Born in Sussex in 1954 he achieved little of note in school, he often found himself in trouble for being inattentive and for doing what he wanted to do, rather than the work that was set. In all his 7 years at secondary school left him with two, rather poor, A-Level results. One in English and one in Biology. After school he spent six months training as a journalist, then as soon as he finished his training he quit the job, his mind was set, he was determined to become a writer. He then spent many years doing casual work and writing in between. After many years of unpublished work he hit success with his book "The Cry of the Wolf" and it was nominated for the Carnegie Medal.

Books

Here is a little about a few of his most famous books.

Junk - By far the most successful of all his books Junk tells the story of Tar, and his girlfriend Gem. Embroiled in drugs and the punk culture Burgess drew much of this book from his own experience of Bristol in the early eighties. The book is a fantastic read, each chapter is narrated by a different character and so the book gives a wonderful impression of how much difference perspective can make on a persons view of a situation.

A Lady -


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A754733

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more