Student Vacation Work

2 Conversations

Vacation Work...what's that about? You slave all year (alright, sit about in the union developing your alcoholic tendencies and squandering your lack-of 'loan') and all you have to show for it is a decrepit bank balance and a pile of dirty washing.

Summer work is pretty much mandatory. Unless by some freak of wealth you can afford to be a student, damn you ;). Again with the slaving. I worked two jobs last summer just to pay to be able to afford to eat this year (slight exageration, but you get the point). Madness. This summer will be interesting too, because apart from the fact that nowhere seems to want people just for the summer, the others never want you for enough hours, or high enough pay, as I discovered.

So, say it's the end of the summer. The kiddies are back at school and with two and a half weeks before I'm to intrepid explorer back to uni my bank balance is looking fairly healthy. Not rich-healthy, but not overdrawn. This can only be a good thing. Yes, ok, summer work is definitely worth it, if only for the cash and the CV-enhancement.

It's interesting that the term after the summer is the term in which you have to buy Christmas presents. I spend too much, every year. Then term two is Easter eggs - there's something at the end of every term! The May Ball was the third term's big spender, and for what? Yes, a good night out with your friends, but then it's a matter of weeks till you have to go through the slave labor thing all over again. I just wish I could get paid for sitting in the sun... :-D

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A753699

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more