A Conversation for Mindfulness

Peer Review: A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 1

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Entry: Mindfulness - A746336
Author: Zarquon's Singing Fish! (ACE) (Scout) Minister for Rigidly Defined Areas of Doubt and Uncertainty - U182827

This entry was inspired by acgBen's one on prayer and affirmation. Thanks Ben!smiley - smiley

Comments please.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 2

a girl called Ben

Hi

This is good Zarq, I enjoyed reading it. (And it reminded me that I am letting all the crap surround me at work, and not taking time to ground myself properly).

One typo - in the footnote about Thich Nhat Hanh - nominatef

I am not sure about having such a large section on anger. Mind you, that may just be because I don't actually feel anger a lot.

One thing which I find mindfulness does do for me is create spaces between stimulus and response. A side effect of meditating is to create spaces around my reactions in everyday life.

Question: Mindfulness is easy enough (ha ha!) in relation to the physical. I am not good at the mindfulness of breathing, but I can manage it after a fashion. Likewise walking meditations. I also quite often make a practice of driving mindfully. (It is interesting how many people assume that this is dangerous, a-n-d m-e-a-n-s y-o-u m-u-s-t b-e d-r-i-v-i-n-g v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. Not so, but there you go).

But how do you write html mindfully? Or write reports? Or read process documents? Or create process diagrams? In other words, how do you *think* mindfully?

Or does that begin to come when you have been practicing physical mindfulness for a few lifetimes?

Anyways, this is good. And good luck with it.

Ben


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Typo corrected, Ben. Thanks.smiley - smiley

I'm going to sleep on the entry. You may be right about too much emphasis on dealing with anger. I've a lot of it around me at work recently and it seems to me that mindfulness is a good way of dealing with it and remembering not to water the seeds.smiley - peacedove

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Ben,

I've thought about the bit about anger. I'm going to keep in in as is. I think there's a need for it. If other researchers disagree, let me know.

I completely agree with you about being able to be mindful when doing something that needs quick responses, like driving. That was why I chose the example of mindless driving and included the quote at the end.

I'll have a look at the entry to see if I need to make it clearer about the creating spaces between stimulus and response.

Your question (which I entirely failed to answer in my previous posting) - how to *think* mindfully.

Like you, I think it is a question of practice and perseverence. The Buddhists have a 'mindfulness bell' which is rung at regular intervals.

I suspect that few people are able to think mindfully at all times. The Dalai Lama, perhaps and his ilk, but even he doesn't claim it (modest person that he is).

Do you think I should say more about this in the entry?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 5

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Yes, put that other Dalai Lama quote in!

The 'anger' section is essential because it's *then* when you need mindful thinking.

As to writing a letter.. I was expecting to read '... when you're done, use a lighter and burn it in a ceremony'. I gather that your point is to actually send it, right?

typo: 'bring you attention' -> your



great piece smiley - ok


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 6

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Hi Bossel!

Thanks for the comments.

I don't have another Dalai Lama quote, just the one that's already there (although if I come across a suitable one, I could put it insmiley - smiley.

Yes, the idea is to send the letter. This is in the case where you wouldn't be able to say what you needed to say - either because you would use poor tonality or you are afraid of losing your cool. So you need to spend time getting it right.

There are practices where you write a letter and then symbolically burn them. Often, the sort of thing you put in the letter, you would not want to post, or it may not be appropriate to send it, eg to an ex-partner who has remarried or to a father who has died.

I've corrected the typo. I had to read it three times through to see it, though. And guess what, the last time, I slowed down my breathing, so I could be more mindful.smiley - zen

Thanks.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 7

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

I saw this too!


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 8

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Do you mean you spotted the same typo, or is there another, Whoami?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 9

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

I mean, I recommended it!


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 10

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

Don't know if it'll be accepted, but I hope so...


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 11

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Thanks, Whoami! Fingers crossed.

It struck me that that was what you might have meant about two seconds after I posted my last message.

I see you have taken your bonus, plus one of Strider's?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A746336 - Mindfulness

Post 12

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

No - I haven't taken any bonus picks - I didn't manage to complete my last ones due to exams, so I'm catching up...

Whoami? smiley - cake


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Key: Complain about this post