A Hull Lot of Love

0 Conversations

A plague of cane toads climbing across each other.

I thought I would give you all a light break from my trawl around London hunting Elephants in London, and mention my weekend away. And what a weekend!

Sure was a Hull lot of Love.

I had heard that there were some fibreglass-decorated toads on display in Kingston-upon-Hull. The reason? It was a celebration of Philip Larkin, the poet, his death (how sick is that?).

It appears he wrote a number of poems about toads, and so 'Toad in the Hull' was created.

So on Friday, 4th September, at 11.30, I was on a train heading to Hull and, for once it wasn't an h2g2 Meet. I also realised it was the first time I had been away on a spontaneous, non-planned, trip! Ever!!! ie, not a Meet, a family get-together, or holiday with other people. Just ME!!!

I arrived at 15.00, and got a taxi to the Ibis Hotel, which turned out to be only five minutes from the station! Oh, well. I had saved a bit of money for this weekend, so I wasn't overly concerned. And it saved dragging my case behind me. I booked in, dumped my gear, then decided to head straight out. In hindsight, it may not have been such a good idea. I caught a bus, unfortunately not the right one, and found myself in the Newington and St Andrew area of Hull, to the west. I started at West Park, where there was a Hull derby football match about to take place. This did cause a frisson of concern, so I took my photos of the Carnegie Toad outside the Carnegie heritage centre (previously a library). Crossing the road, I headed for toad no 2. This was St George's Toad, outside St. George's primary school. On route, I noticed that two-thirds of the properties weren't just boarded up, they were bricked up! Worrying. I initially thought it may have been due to the dreadful flooding Hull had a few years ago, but I understand that isn't the case. Just a run-down area. After this toad, I took a stroll along another few derelict roads to Woodcock Street. The Newington Toad had been moved and was easily noticed on the street corner. From here I headed further down the road, only to realise I should have turned left. Oh, well! I just had to retrace my steps and to the Topographical Toad. This was the best of the four in my opinion. So I managed to find four toads, and had a good stretch of the legs – around four kilometres.

When I got back, I bought some coffee, milk and a mug before heading back to the hotel. Now, restaurant or economy? Turned out there was a Wetherspoon's around the corner, so thought I'd try it out. I ordered a burger, chips and an extra portion of onion rings. The burger was OK, the chips not so good, but the onion rings were really rank.

There was one bonus point: with ale at £1.95, (Abbot Reserve, which, with 6.5 abv, was not bad, either!)

I went back to the hotel for sleep and then got up at 09.30am, showered, and then headed for breakfast (saves buying lunch) but I was not impressed, so I had coffee and a croissant with marmalade, and then headed for town. The weather was sunny and warm, but there were still clouds on the horizon, so sweatshirt and jacket had to be packed. Off on the hunt at 11.00am. And very productive it was, too.

It was to be an interesting route. I started from adjacent to Hull station. Here were Teletoad, the Chiltern Toad and Space Hopper. The latter had NaSA down the side, which stood for Newington and St
Andrew's, the area I'd been in the previous day. Unfortunately, being outside the station, it had been climbed on regularly and was badly damaged. From there I headed North towards Springbank, stopping at St Stephen's shopping centre where there was the EastWest Toad. This toad was decorated in the colours of the two opposing Hull football clubs. Further on I came to the Hull Truck Theatre and Punkphibian. A real 'cool' toad. Yes. A toad done up as a punk, including Mohican hair style, tartan trews and piercings. Very well done, but, unfortunately, he had been 'scalped' on his first night on the streets. Luckily he had had a hair transplant, although it was still damaged. On to Springbank and Tequila Toad. Here I spoke to a local who didn't 'get' the toads, but appreciated them. As did his kids, especially his daughter, who was determined she was not going to get off the toad so that I could photograph it. Patience is the important tool to a photographer, more so than skill or equipment. Then down Prospect Street and to Heat Toad. Unfortunately, this was inside the library, which was closed, so no photo opportunity here. Through Prospect Shopping Centre and Kiss Me Quick Toad. This reminded me of Lulu Elephant, by Lulu Guinness in the London Parade, being covered in bright red lipstick kisses. I must admit, I did undo the tens barriers to photograph it, but returned them immediately. Just as I finished taking photos, a security guard came through. I panicked a bit, and beat a hasty retreat. The next toad was a wandering toad, and was not where the map said it was, but right on the outskirts of Hull, and too far for me to travel.

There was little else to do but head off towards Charlotte Street Mews, taking in Hull Folk opposite the new (at the time it was built, I guess) Hull Theatre and on to Toad in the Hull. This was situated opposite the very impressive and new Hull History Centre. Shame it was closed. Another item on my 'when I next visit Hull' to-do list. I then walked down Worship Street, South to Queen's Gardens. It was a bit of a shame that the area was cordoned off, ready for the Freedom Festival the following week, which made finding Lobelia Toad difficult. Luckily
(I think tenacious is my middle name), I found her.

I then walked across Queen's Garden, and again I couldn't find my next two toads. They weren't where the pictorial map indicated. Walking up a slope I came to them: Harlequin, Mischievous Man of Mystery, quite the best-painted and designed toad I had seen, and Weather, Rain or Shine Toad.

Now the route became awkward. Left, right or straight on? Follow the numeric order, or my nose? I went with the map, and went to Tiger Toad in front of Hull's maritime museum. Interestingly, this was sponsored by Hull City AFC, because their colours are orange and black. I then crossed the street, past the Queen Victoria monument to the Hidden Toad. This toad was sponsored by public subscription, and I and my fellow Facebook ellie friends had spent £25.00 on an inscription... Gerald's Groupies. This group's name will become clearer in a future Elephant Parade Post. This was where I met the most awkward family I'd ever met on my travels. Five children and their parents. They just swarmed over the toad, while insisting on having their photos taken.

Across the road, facing the Punch tavern, was Kasey Toad. Now I was on for a true hunt. There was another shopping centre, Prince's Quay, to find the main toad, the LarKin Toad. Luckily I asked a kind Security guard who pointed him out, after cautioning me about only photographing the Toad. What is it with these guys that they are paranoid about us photographing second rate retailers? Even the Larkin Toad information toad shop was empty, except for some skyward facing toads, painted by school children, in the window, a couple of which were very good, considering.

A little further along, and in the old quarter of the town, across the marina from Prince's Quay, was a very 'bubble gum' toad, the Hull Fair Toad. Unfortunately, there was a couple with their child and 4 x 4 buggy determined to consume their oversized hot-dog right by the side of the toad. As I said previously, patience is the major part of a photographer's armoury, and it paid off. They did eventually move off, and a lovely family appeared in their place, more intrigued than troublesome. I explained the reason for the toads, and gave them a spare map I had when, yes, the family from hell turned up! Time to leave.

I headed down Postern gate to St. Philip's Church. Here is situated, and was founded, the Trinity House institution to the left. I walked around the church, attempting to find the next toad, with difficulty, but eventually found it next to a statue, facing a very old Grammar and Primary school, dated 1583. It was closed for renovation but looked interesting. However, there was no time for sightseeing. Time to head for Humber Dock. However, this entailed crossing Castle Street, not something to undertake lightly when using a walking cane. By now it was getting quite windy, as was testified by the location of the next toad, Reflective Colours. This toad was opposite the ARC architecture Centre. An interesting building, with a profusion of wind electricity generators and solar panels. Very noisy. In fact, I am surprised that they could rotate so fast. However, time to head on, and on route to the Holiday Inn, I passed another tiger toad, this time Tigger Toad. Not quite as well designed as Tiger Toad, but interesting.

When I reached the Holiday Inn, I was confused. No Toad. Where was it? Then I saw it. Over a footbridge, crossing the locks. This was troubling, as the wind was gusting, and I was feeling very unsteady, but by perseverance and determination I managed to get the photographs of Archi-toad, but now what??? Should I walk around the marina, or retrace my steps? I decided discretion was the best route to safety and retraced my steps, as I knew that at the end of the docks was another narrow footbridge, close to the river. Not a wise decision. I didn't fancy an unintentional trip on the Hull Lifeboat. Interestingly, I passed a moored lifeboat in the marina, City of Glasgow II. Why was she there? Walking around the marina, there was a gravelled area where I came across Fish and Chips Toad. Not as well designed as the Fish and Chips elephant, but still an interesting representation.

A short walk and I reached the river's edge. As on my previous visits, I was intrigued by the fish designs set into the pavement. Another item of interest to be pursued on my next visit. By now the wind was very gusty, and troublesome. The next toad, Squatwit (who the ?@$% names these critters?) was on a raised area right on the river's edge, which made getting to it 'interesting'! Or should I say hairy. I managed it, with difficulty, climbing the steps using the wall supports, only for the hell-rats to descend again. Time to step away and brace myself for balance, while they did their mugshots. Eventually I managed to photograph the toad, but they were very much 'snatched' shots. Now I had another choice. Should I walk around the edge of the river, again taking on a narrow footbridge, or maintain terra firma. I decided terra firma was a step towards discretion rather than valour, so I walked towards an Irish pub performing karaoke.

This area was obviously destined for renovation, and bad hoardings showed the history of the streets. Very interesting, even including the old retail units back in the 1800s. Hull really has an amazing amount of history!!! Maybe I need more than a two-night stay next time. Walking past every rundown derelict bit of land, I came across Typographical Toad. The hardest part was reaching it, as there was a steep slope to reach it, facing straight into the wind. I managed it by zigzagging up, and using the wall as a brace to take the photos. Then I saw a guy come scooting past on a mobility scooter. Grr!!!

By now I was shattered. The Deep was a 'bridge too far' so I decided to retrace my steps. I was still haunted by the devil's spawn, meeting them three more times en route back to my hotel. Sometimes I just wish I could be officious, but I was in a public place and have no more rights than they. When I reached Queen Victoria Square, my body was telling me it was really knac...tired, so I decided to take a taxi back to the hotel, although it was closer than the previous trip from the station. I had a couple of coffees and a shower, and then a celebratory trip back to Wetherspoon's. This time, I had no onion rings with the burger, and the meal was much the better for it.

Next day, and did I ache! Over the weekend, breakfast is available until 12.00, but on Monday it is 10.00am, so I had to get up early-ish. Breakfast was similar to the previous day, so I took the best of the deal, except there were croissants this time, so I settled for a couple of pappy bread rolls and marmalade, then decided to go out taking a cab to The Deep! I had been twice before, but this time it meant I had a visit to myself.

First, I had to convince them to look after my luggage. The woman was very polite but insisted I open it, which was fine, except I couldn't open it all the way. Eventually she completed the search herself. I decided to book an audio headset, along with the guide, and set off. I'd never really had the time to see the Deep at a really slow pace, so this time I really took my time. All four hours of it!!! I thoroughly enjoyed myself, with loads of photos. Most of them were dodgy, due to not being able to take photos with a flash, but I still managed some half-decent ones. I called a taxi to go back to Hull Station and had time for a coffee and a rest before I caught the train back to London at 18.00. At least I had Tuesday off for a spot of rest, washing and ironing.

All in all, it was a very good weekend, in a City I can recommend for a weekend break. Yes! A Southerner is recommending a Northern Break! And I'll be back, if only to do the Fish Trail, and if anyone can explain the descriptive tiles in the pavements as well, I'd appreciate it.

There are photos of the toads.

Assorted Articles by MazinMadFiddler Archive

MazinMadFiddler

20.09.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A74255132

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more