JJ's Carmalised Movie Review

2 Conversations

The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings

Time: 172 Minutes

Director: Peter Jackson

Cast: Ian McKellen, Sean Astin, Sean Bean, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom (hey baby hey baby hey), Billy Boyd (ditto), Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Dominic Monaghan, Viggo Mortensen, John Rhys-Davies, Liv Tyler, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood.

I'm sorry to do this to everyone yet again, but I really can't help myself.

I saw the film for the ninth time this last Saturday, and I was (for the ninth time) simply blown away by the beauty of it. Not just the beauty radiating from Orlando Bloom, either. The cinematography is just /gorgeous/. The dialogue is gorgeous, the music is gorgeous. I can't stop thinking of the panning shots around mountains, or the beautiful flowers around Bag End, or even the amazing Oscar-winning special effects work in the Mines of Moria.

Here's a few of my favourite lines (in no particular order)

  • 'I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.' - Frodo

  • 'So do all who live to see such times, but it is not for them to decide. All we have to do is decide what to do what the time that is given to us.' - Gandalf

  • 'In place of a dark lord you shall have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! All shall love me and despair!... I pass the test. I shall diminish, and go into the west, and remain Galadriel...' - Galadriel

  • 'We've had one, yes. But what about second breakfast?' - Pippin

  • 'Eight there are here yet nine there were set out from Rivendell. Tell me where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him...'

  • 'When the seas and mountains fall/And we come to end of days/In the dark I hear your call/Calling me back/I will go there and back again' - Technically that was from the ending song 'The Breaking of the Fellowship' and not necessarily the movie itself. But I like it so... Yeah.

  • 'I made a promise Mr Frodo. A Promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee!" And I don't mean to... I don't mean to.' - Sam

  • 'Done!' - Pip
    'You're supposed to stick it in the ground.' - Merry
    'It is in the ground.' - Pip
    'No it isn't!' - Merry
    'This was your idea!' - Pip

    (boom) - Rocket

  • 'This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance.' - Legolas
    'Aragorn? This is Isildur's heir?' - Boromir
    'And heir to the throne of Gondor.' - Legolas
    'Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king.' - Boromir

  • 'Great! Where are we going?' - Pippin

  • 'I swear to you I will not let the white city fall. Nor our people fail.' - Aragorn

And I think at that I'm done with the quotes. Thank you for bearing with me. I realise that this is a problem, and I probably need to take some sort of twelve steps programe to get over it. But either way, I shall digress, and go into the west, and continue my review.

Has anyone ever filtered out the dialogue and simply listened to the music? It's gorgeous. It won awards. There is a reason for this. Would you like to know what that reason is? It's gorgeous. But there I go repeating myself.

All right, I can't think about this film without wanting to go see it. So I believe I shall. Again. For the tenth time. Off I go. Bye.

For the third and probably not last time, Lord of the Rings gets itself five out of five smiley - wizards.


Jedi Jade


02.05.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A741511

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more