Tower Hill

1 Conversation

Tower Hill lies on the southwestern coast of Victoria, Australia. It is the remnants of a volcano that blew its entire bottom two thirds far, far away and the cone top landed in the crater created with a 'plop' that can still be heard echoing through the hills.

Seasonal Population

In times of rainfall, the central island of cones is surrounded by a spectacularly clear circular lake about a metre deep. All manner of water-loving fauna take up residence and a plethora of bird-watchers sit very still in the long grass. In dry times, the island is surrounded by a ring of smelly mud.

Permanent Population

The island in the centre is guarded by a squadron of emus. The emu is the second largest flightless bird on the planet. It posesses a beak and claws capable of tearing apart a picnic roast in seconds. This weaponry is hardly ever used as the emu has large black eyes, larger bushy black eyebrows fixed in a scowl and a stare that's fixed in a bullying expression as if to say, 'Got any food? No? Go get some'. People have descibed the experience of being surrounded by emus as feeling like a, 'lab rat that is about to feel the effects of the last injection'. The best way to get past them is to pull out some food and throw it at someone you don't know.

Exploration

There are many well-marked walks to be taken. Most people opt for a walk around the top of the cones and the arrangement of underwater reeds and their colour in the centre of one will remind you of staring into a gigantic eye, or some underwater reeds.

The excruciating climb to the summit of the highest cone is very beneficial to international and interstate travellers as atop it is a large brass plaque set in the ground that will tell them how many thousand kilometres they should travel and in which direction they should go to get home.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A73982

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more