Talking Point: Debt

14 Conversations

Pile of inaccessible cash

Credit has never been so easy to get. If it's not a letter inviting you to apply for a gold or platinum credit card, it's a loan application form dropping through the letter box or direct to your email account. These days we don't even have to search for credit, it finds us. We are being encouraged to borrow money, and then to borrow more money to pay off the debts we incur. Are we going to spend the rest of our lives as debtors?

Adverts are pressurising children into thinking they must have certain products. By providing these toys and games are parents teaching children that something is only worth having if it can be had instantly? Should we be encouraging them to save for what they want, so that they don't grow up to rely on other people's money?

  • With low interest rates and credit very easily available are we storing up problems for the years ahead?

  • Why aren't we happy living within our means?

  • What is the best way of handling debt problems?

  • How can we educate ourselves to save for what we want, instead of borrowing?

  • Is it easy to find help when debts become unmanagable?

  • Did you know there are certain debts that carry prison sentences if they remain unpaid?

  • How can we avoid debt in the first place?

  • Shops often offer us their store cards as we use alternative means to pay for our goods; should this be allowed?

  • Is there a way to make credit cards work for us?

Is the credit boom over?The UK's credit boomPersonal borrowing in the UKCitizens Advice Bureau Adviceguide

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A730315

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more