A Conversation for CELTIC DEVON

The Wessex Society is dead

Post 1

Ozzie Exile

With a whimper so quiet that I missed it, it seems that the Wessex Society has (effectively) shuffled off this mortal coil.

http://www.wessexsociety.com/blog/big-changes-are-coming-to-wessex-society

From the perspective that this was a group which claimed that Devon was a part of Wessex, despite the protests of many Devonians, this demise will not cause me to lose any tears. In conjunction with certain Cornish Nationalists they sought to create an unnatural region that ignored Devon's unique characteristics.

The Wessex Regionalist party also appear to have faded away to a dark corner, at least as far as I can see online.

However, I suspect the claims of their death may be (somewhat) exaggerated. We may still find the odd individuals who used to support their old territorial claims may still bob up from time to time.

No doubt the Cornish Nationalists will still claim that Devon is simply a part of a (so called) Wessex, analagous to (say) Hampshire, but I think that is, to use a gambling analogy, now a "busted flush".

Whatever the area to the east (or west) of us believe, Devon remains a region with a seperate and ancient ancestry.


Key: Complain about this post

The Wessex Society is dead

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more