A Conversation for CELTIC DEVON

Only county in Britain?

Post 1

raybell_scot

"Celtic Cornwall this. Celtic Cornwall that. If you believe our closest neighbour you would think Cornwall is the only county in Britain with a thriving Celtic heritage.

"Well think again."

Yes indeed, think again. What does Matthew Friday mean? The UK? Probably not. The idea that Cornwall is the only "county" in the UK with a thriving Celtic heritage is new to Scots, Welsh, and folk in the north east of Ireland. Nach eil canan Ceilteach againne? (Don't we have a Celtic language of our own?)

Perhaps Matthew Friday means "England", in which case, the word "England" should be used. But even this is dodgy, since Cornish nationalists claim that Cornwall is not really English.

The humorous ''Xenophobe's Guide to the English'' (written by an Englishman) manages to encapsulate the situation in a nutshell. I think it says something like "An Englishman is someone who says England when they mean Britain and Britain when they mean England".


Key: Complain about this post

Only county in Britain?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more