A Conversation for CELTIC DEVON

Celtic Bards in Devon

Post 1

Ozzie Exile

It was "Matthew the Bard" who initiated this discussion on Celtic Devon.

Interestingly there has been a recent challenge for the right to be Bard for Exeter.

Refer the following article in the WMN

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=77707&command=displayContent&sourceNode=77259&contentPK=8142238

Interestingly the reference seems to be to a document in the eighteenth century, and appears to relate to Exeter, butin under its Celtic name "Caer Wyse". This name sounds slightly wrong as the Cornish for Exeter is Keresk and I can find no reference on the internet to Caer Wyse, however the name is phonetically close.

Perhaps more interesting than the 'bardic challenge' is the inference that as recently as in the eighteenth century not only was Exeter's Celtic name used but that Exeter was seen as a centre for Celtic traditions.

If Celtic traditions survived for 1000 years after the Saxons arrived in Devon, and therefore into modern times - why does it seem they faded so badly in much more recent times???

At last our culture is reasserting itself again - Celtic bards will again speak of our culture and history. Perhaps Matthew will answer the challenge!!


Key: Complain about this post

Celtic Bards in Devon

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more