A Conversation for Butterfly Bush

Butterfly bush

Post 1

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Butterfly bush is attractive and easy to grow. But it's biggest attraction is the sight of a shrub covered with Monarch Butterflies in the late summer and autumn.

Sadly, the magnificent Monarch is faced with yet another threat; this time from genetically engineered corn (maize). It has been discovered that corn pollen, carried by the wind to neighbouring plants, is insecticidal. This can have devastating affects if the pollen is ingested by larvae feeding on nearby milkweed (Asclepias spp.).


Butterfly bush

Post 2

Erica (Lemme Be)

We probly have the bushes,
but we've definitely got the trees!!!

http://www.doubletakemagazine.org/issues/14/here.html


Butterfly bush

Post 3

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Hi Erica,

Thanks for the link. That must be a wonderful sight to behold!

On cool autumn mornings, the migrating Monarchs bask on the sunny side of my pine trees. It's just a hint of the incredible spectacle you enjoy; but it is something I always look forward to seeing.

JTG


Butterfly bush

Post 4

Erica (Lemme Be)

Aaah, the butterflies are comin' back. The annual butterfly parade happens again in a week! I'll keep you posted.
Best,
E.


Butterfly bush

Post 5

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Hooray for butterflies!

Thanks Erica.

smiley - smiley

JTG


Butterfly bush

Post 6

Erica (Lemme Be)

This is a fun site, all the more so, because he grabbed the url before the city did - you can get some great butterfly gifs here, too.

http://www.pacificgrove.com/

Best,
E.
aka
P.K.
ICQ#39566725


Butterfly bush

Post 7

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Hi Erica,

Thanks for the URL. It is a very interesting site, much less stuffy than the city web site, I suspect.

Have a great time at the parade and festivities tomorrow.smiley - smiley

Cheers!

JTG


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Butterfly Bush

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more