Talking Point: Last Meal

1 Conversation

Steak on a flaming grill' Burgers and steak are reputedly very popular 'last meal' requests.

A friend of one of the Editors1

recently asked him the rather morbid-sounding question, 'What would

your death row meal be?' Now, we're all

aware of the poignantly tragic custom that affords inmates in

prisons on 'death row' the opportunity to request a

last meal on the actual day of their execution2. In fact, the custom of preparing for the condemned a special meal is an ancient one and widespread; even Samurai warriors before committing ritual hara kiri would have a special meal preprared for them consisting of their favourite foods.

However, moving away if we can from the ghaslty business of state execution and suicide - but bearing in mind the words 'ritual' and 'food' - we would like to know if there is a meal that is singularly special to you, that perhaps somehow even defines you? A sort-of Desert Island meal.

This week we're getting a bit philosphical about food. We're imagining that special 'last meal'.

  • What would your imaginary last meal be?

  • Is there a meal or foodstuff that somehow sums you up, or perhaps even defines you? For some it could be chocolate; for others, bacon.

  • Do you feel emotionally connected to food? Does it conjure up for you special memories or associations with childhood; does it even evoke a sense of place or nationality?

  • What's your earliest memory of eating food?

  • Do we think about food too much? Or do we not think about it enough?

1'Stop invoking your only

'friend' in Talking Points please.' - the other Editor.
2For many

years a certain Brian Price cooked over 300 of these last meal requests as the official

'last meal'

chef on Texas death row
.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A70292540

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more