A Conversation for Belemnites

Peer Review: A702596 - Belemnites

Post 1

Henry

Entry: Belemnites - A702596
Author: Frogbit - U175610

An introduction to ancient squid-like creatures. Enjoy!


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 2

Henry

A couple of typos fixed and links added.


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 3

Azara

Hi, Frogbit!

This is a nice match for the ammonites entry. I think it would be worth including a link to a good image of a belemnite guard. Where you describe the Black Venn fossils, I think it would also be a good idea to say what mineral the reader will be polishing up with their Brasso.

I found only one typo (under Morphology):
'At one of the guard,' should be 'at one end of the guard'

smiley - cheers
azara
smiley - rose


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 4

Henry

Thanks Azara - there are plenty of good pics out there - I'll hunt one down. The mineral - for the record- is calcite. I'll work it in. Off to fix the typo...


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 5

Henry

Links in, calcite reference in.


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 6

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Going to read your entry after lunch - smiley - flyhibookmark.

Frogbit, before the Ammonite entry, and this entry, and maybe any others you have yet to write {I've read your personal space} could be grouped together and entered at the University - maybe Project: Fossils {?}; they will not need seperate editing nor go through PR.
You will also earn a new shiny badge, like mine.smiley - winkeye

The University page is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/University

I apologize in advance if you already knew that smiley - smiley


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 7

the Shee

May I suggest a footnote for morphology? Or at least making it more clear that you are talking about form?


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 8

Henry

Cheers Babe - working on a proposal for a project now. The stuff in PR isn't really suitable for what I have in mind, but would be really convenient to link to. Thanks.
Hi Shee. Anyone else for or against 'Morphology'?


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 9

Azara

Actually, I'd go for a header

What Did They Look Like?

rather than 'Morphology' with or without a footnote! It would match the header 'How Did They Live?' quite well.

Azara
smiley - rose


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 10

Henry

Well ok then...


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 11

Metal Chicken

Hi Frogbit, seems like you've been busy lately.
Another interesting read. Wondered if you wanted to mention the fossilised ichthyosaur vomitted belemnites that were all over the news a few weeks ago? Here, for the BBC news version of the story. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/england/newsid_1814000/1814559.stm

Does Brasso work for polishing up other fossilised finds as well or just if they're calcite beasties?

Typo noted : You've a Black Ven once instead of Venn

MC


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 12

LL Waz

I enjoyed reading that. Are we allowed to mention Duraglit and Brasso? Or will this get replaced by a 'sticky backed plastic' description?
Waz



A702596 - Belemnites

Post 13

Henry

Morphology >>What did they look like?

Ven >> Venn

"Does Brasso work for polishing up other fossilised finds as well or just if they're calcite beasties?"

It works on pyratised stuff too - it's not so much the polish the pad's impregnated with, it's the fineness of the wire wool that does it.

"Wondered if you wanted to mention the fossilised ichthyosaur vomitted belemnites that were all over the news a few weeks ago?"

Didn't catch that on the news, but spotted it in a 1996 textbook. Can't work out why it's doing the rounds now. Interesting though, cheers.

"Are we allowed to mention Duraglit and Brasso?"

I'm not sure, that's why I mentioned both to make it fairer.

Chhers for the feedback,
Frogbit.


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 14

Henry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/england/newsid_1814000/1814559.stm

He looks very pleased about having his head in a pile of ichthyosaur sick, doesn't he?
Cheers for the link MC.


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 15

Orcus

Hi Frogbit, a scouty type person here. It seems the editors have accepted my recommendation and this article is to be henceforth an official article of the edited guide. smiley - biggrinsmiley - bubbly

You seem to like writing articles on this subject and seeing as it's so fascinating I find myself recommending them quite often too.

Keep up the good work smiley - smiley

Orcus


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 16

Azara

smiley - bubbly for Frogbit!

Azara
smiley - rose


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 17

Henry

Cheers Orcus, Azara, thanks a lot. And MC, and all of you that enjoyed it.

"You seem to like writing articles on this subject and seeing as it's so fascinating I find myself recommending them quite often too."

I'm glad you said that...


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 18

LL Waz

Here's to Orcus having lots more of these to recommend smiley - bubbly.


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 19

Henry

Oh and Orcus? Those underpants...*truly* amazing.


A702596 - Belemnites

Post 20

Orcus

Why thankyou.

smiley - blush

(PS. In case you're wondering, Wumbeevil accused my of having an ever changing nicknamename the other week with the proviso - 'shame it's not his underwear'. The rest is history... smiley - winkeye)


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Belemnites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more