Talking Point: Time Travel

31 Conversations

Police telephone box in space

We are all travelling through time every day, but at a set speed, and in one direction. Many people believe anything else is impossible. If you were to go back in time and kill the inventor of your time machine, for example, how could you be using a time machine? And if you weren't using a time machine, you couldn't go back and kill the inventor... This causes a paradox.

Science fiction writers, and indeed scientists, can offer us theories on how travelling through time might work, and the problems that may be encountered. Can we learn from these?

  • Do you believe time travel is possible?
  • If you could go back in time, where would you go?
  • What period of history would you choose and why?
  • If time travel is possible, wouldn't it have always existed?
  • Are we, as a species, ready for time travel?
  • Is there anyone in particular you would like to meet?
  • Would you prefer to travel into the future? How far would you go?
  • Is there anything in particular from the past that you would like to change?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/exploration/timetravel/index.shtmlhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/index.shtmlhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/tardiscam/intro.shtml

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A702280

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more