A Conversation for h2g2 fantasy football-second season

WEEK FIVE RESULTS

Post 41

GreyDesk

Eeeek! smiley - run


WEEK FIVE RESULTS

Post 42

The Nitpicker

Just came for a quick look around to see what was happening - not been on line a lot recently - and found post 17 which made me sad that I'd bothered to come! I think the green eyed monster is definitely residing with you at the moment and there was I telling everyone I know what great fans Newcastle had and how great you were after the last time you played us at Wembley ... You obviously were NOT one of those I met after the match who were all telling me that we deserved it and how CRAP your team had been!


WEEK FIVE RESULTS

Post 43

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

err, sorry Nitpicker, your right, it was an unworthy comment to have made.... I guess I got carried away by the upset of the moment...

I had to watch the game by the bbc internet live update, and we had just had three free kicks apparently.. it was more meant to be a jest about newcastles failure to do anything than anything else. If my swearing casued offence, sorry...


WEEK FIVE RESULTS

Post 44

The Nitpicker

It wasn't the swearing I objected to but the comment "fact that they [Arsenal] are such dirty b******s" was not very friendly and before you start about the disciplinary record you could compare and contrast the disciplinary records in domestic football with that in European competitions .....

Domestic 2.1 per match
European 1.33 per match

which supports the research I read about recently which suggests that teams with a perceived disciplinary 'problem' get more bookings than one without a perceived disciplinary 'problem' - in European football matches we get a MUCH fairer response from refs than we do from English refs e.g. NO European ref would have booked van Bronckhorst for falling over in the Liverpool match let alone SENT HIM OFF!

Your BRILLIANT manager showed the way after last Saturday's match and I wish him all the luck on the pitch UNLESS it conflicts directly with Arsenal's interests.


WEEK FIVE RESULTS

Post 45

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

"...UNLESS it conflicts directly with Arsenal's interests."
Fair enough smiley - smiley
In a similar vein, for the sake of the competition, I do hope Arsenal manage to win the League this year (and that Newcastle can hold on somehow to forth, thankyou liverpool for eventually beating chelsea).


Those two numbers are quite interesting... what about other english clubs in Europe though? I mean, our refs may just be more strict in general than the european ones - is the large difference in domestic and european disciplinary records unique to arsenal, or do other clubs show a similar trend?


WEEK FIVE RESULTS

Post 46

The Nitpicker

Haven't checked out other clubs in European competitions but Arsenal are 18th in both the yellow cards per match and fouls per match tables smiley - smiley
BUT top of the bookings per match in domestic football smiley - sadface

Something doesn't quite add up there does it?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more