The Language of the Cube Farm

2 Conversations

The Dilbert generation: a cadre of technologically savvy drones growing up in a world where employers want to own you body and soul, and where geexploitation1 is a way of life

This is the language of the Dilbert generation: the lexicon of the cube dweller. Many of these have been circulated in snitterings2, others are less widely circulated - most are in reasonably common use.

404Clueless. From the HTTP error code 404 (page not found).
AdminisphereThe rarefied organizational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from the adminisphere are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve.
Alpha GeekThe most knowledgeable, technically proficient person in an office or work group.
AssmosisThe process by which some people seem to absorb success and advancement by kissing up to the boss rather than working hard.
BatmobilingPutting up emotional shields (from the retracting armour that covers the Batmobile, as in "she started talking marriage and he started Batmobiling")
BeepilepsyThe way someone dances when their vibrating pager goes off.
BetamaxedWhen a technology is overtaken in the market by inferior but better marketed competition, as in "Microsoft betamaxed Apple right out of the market"
BlamestormingThe process of ensuring that the innocent take the blame for failure; a meeting convened for the assignment of blame with no constructive purpose.
Body NazisHard-core exercise and weight-lifting fanatics who look down on anyone who doesn't work out.
BRBBig Red Button. The thing you hit when all else fails.
BSODKnown by Microsoft as a Stop error and by everybody else in the world as the Blue Screen Of Death, this is Windows' number one way of spoiling your day.
Buzzword BingoA game played in meetings. Players each have a card with meaningless buzzwords arranged in a grid. As the buzzwords are used in the meeting they players cross them off. The winner is the first to get all the buzzwords in a line (horizontally, vertically or corner-to-corner).
Chips & SalsaChips = hardware, Salsa = software. "Well,first we gotta figure out if the problem's in your chips or your salsa."
Chainsaw ConsultantAn outside expert brought in to reduce headcount leaving the bosses with clean hands.
CLMCareer Limiting Move - Used among microserfs to describe ll-advised activity. Trashing your boss while he or she is within earshot is a serious CLM.
Cube FarmAn office filled with cubicles.
DilbertedTo be exploited and oppressed by your boss. Derived from the experiences of Dilbert, the geek-in-hell comic strip character, and his pointy-haired boss (PHB). "I've been dilberted again. The old man revised the specs for the fourth time this week."
DinkyDual Income, No Kids Yet. Married Yuppies.
Easter-Egging The process of replacing unrelated components at random in the hope of making a problem go away. Usually used of field servoids, also known to be done by vehicle technicians.
Ego surfingScanning the Net, databases, print media, and so on, looking for references to one's own name.
Elvis yearThe peak year of something's popularity -- Barney the dinosaur's Elvis year was 1993.
Flight riskUsed to describe employees who are suspected of planning to leave a company or department soon.
GenericaFeatures of the American landscape that are exactly the same no matter where one is, such as fast food outlets (especially McDonalds). Used as in "We were so lost in generica that I forgot what city we were in."
Going PostalEuphemism for being totally stressed out, or losing it. Makes reference to the unfortunate track record of postal employees who have snapped and gone on shooting rampages.
GOOD JobA "Get-Out-Of-Debt" Job. A well-paying job people take in order to pay off their debts, one that they will quit as soon as they are solvent again.
Idea HamsterOne who always seems to have their idea generators running.
IrritainmentEntertainment and media spectacles that are annoying but you find your-self unable to stop watching them. The O.J. trials were a prime example. Bill Clinton's shameful video Grand Jury testimony is another.
Keyboard PlaqueThe disgusting buildup of dirt and crud found on computer keyboards.
LARTLuser Attitude Readjustment Tool.
LuserA clueless user (used by support people)
MeatspaceThe physical world (as opposed to the virtual), also "carbon community", "facetime", "F2F", "RL"
Mouse PotatoA couch potato with broadband.
Mushroom managementKeep them in the dark and feed them on taurean faeces.3
OhnosecondThat minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that you've just made a BIG mistake.
PEBKACFault code used by helplines and call centres. Stands for Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair - i.e. a meatware issue.
Percussive maintenanceBeating an electronic device with a stick in an attempt to get it to work again.
PHBPointy Haired Boss. From the Dilbert cartoons; a manager who has risen beyond the level of his incompetence.
Prairie DoggingTo make a loud noise in a cube farm (e.g. by dropping something), so that people's heads pop up over the walls in the manner or prairie dogs to see what's going on.
Salmon dayThe experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die in the end.
ScreenagerA on-line teen (18-24) that grew up in front of a TV or computer screen
Seagull ManagerA manager, who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything in sight and then leaves.
SITCOMSingle Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage. What yuppies turn into when they have children and one of them stops working to look after the kids.
Square headed girlfriend (or boyfriend) computer
Squirt the birdTo transmit a signal to a satellite.
Starter MarriageA short-lived first marriage that ends in divorce with no kids, no property and no regrets.
Stress puppyA person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny.
Swiped outAn ATM or credit card that has been rendered useless because the magnetic strip is worn away from extensive use.
TFQTaurean Faeces Quotient - i.e. bullshit factor. Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing Initiative has a near-unity TFQ - i.e. almost 100% bullshit.
Three Fingered SaluteThe Ctrl+Alt+Delete combination required to reboot old versions of DOS, bring Windows 95 back to the real world, and log on in Windows NT/2000/XP.
TreewareHacker slang for documentation or other printed material.
TouristPeople who take training classes just to get a vacation from their jobs. "We had three serious students in the class; the rest were just tourists."
UmfriendA sexual relation of dubious standing or a concealed intimate relationship, as in "This is Dale, my... um... friend."
UninstalledEuphemism for being fired. Heard on the voice-mail of a vice president at a downsizing computer firm, e.g: "You have reached the number of an Uninstalled Vice President. Please dial our main number and ask the operator for assistance (also quoted as "de-installed"). *(Syn:decruitment.)
Vulcan neck pinchThe taxing hand position required to reach all the appropriate keys for certain commands. For instance, the arm re-boot for a Mac II computer involves simultaneously pressing the Control key, the Command Key, the Return Key, and the Power On key.
Xerox subsidyEuphemism for swiping free photocopies from one's workplace.
Yuppie food stampsLarge denomination notes (in US: $20 bills) as spewed out of ATMs everywhere. Often used when trying to split the bill after a meal:"We each owe $8, but all anybody's got are yuppie food stamps."
1Taking advantage of people with huge brains and on social skills who are prepared to work for a hundred hours a week in return for stock options and brodaband access.2See The Meaning of Liff, Douglas Adams & John Lloyd3Taurus=bull, you can guess the rest

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A697791

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more