A Conversation for 2002 - Autism Awareness Year (UK)

Thanks...

Post 1

Lady in a tree

...for bringing this to everyone's attention via the Post.

My nephew is 15 but ever since he was born I have known that something was not quite right. He has been obsessed with cars since he was 18 months - he can identify any manufacturers, types, engine capacities, etc. He used to do 'windscreen wipers' movement with his fingers or more usually a couple of pens. He had really bad tantrums where he would bang his head on the floor. All along my sister tried to get the doctors to 'diagnose' autism (we didn't know about Aspergers until about a year ago). The doctors kept saying he'll grow out of it. My sister pretty much went into denial that anything was wrong. I had it out with her and found out about Aspergers via the net.

At last there is something tangible to explain my nephew's behaviour.

I love him to bits but he can be so infuriating sometimes. He does get bullied at school and the teachers know about it. Kids will always bully the 'wierdo' no matter how much we try to stop it.

I feel sorry for my sis as she now blames herself for not trying hard enough to get that firm diagnosis. Even now her doctor isn't fully convinced there is anything wrong with him. He acts perfectly normal whenever they go to the surgery so I guess it is difficult to see the reality.

Good luck to anyone who has a friend or relative - or indeed to any sufferer of this inexplicable disease.

As for me - I'm just hoping that with his extensive knowledge of cars he becomes the next Damon Hill or better still Bernie Eccleston and earns a huge amount of money so he can look back at those bullies and show them what he went on to achieve!


Thanks...

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - hug for you all.
I was very lucky in getting an early diagnosis for my son.
He has attended a special school all his life, and will until he is 16.
His form teacher has told me he wouldn't cope in mainstream school, so I'm glad he's where he is.
He's doing very well at his school. smiley - smiley

Has your sister applied for benefits?

I don't work, so the ICA & DLA I get as my son's carer is what I live on.

I wish there was more info I could provide you with, but I suggest you pass onto your sister, the links in my entry.

Good luck & a smiley - hug for you all.

~GB~


Thanks...

Post 3

deackie

Let's hope people's awareness can be raised.


Thanks...

Post 4

Lady in a tree

I will pass on those links - thanks. I don't think my sis has ever thought about applying for benefit. She works full time so I suppose she thinks she is not entitled. I'll get her to look into it.

Talking of good links and considering we can post URL's at the mo have you seen this

www.snichol.freeserve.co.uk/asperger.htm

also follow the link on that page or go to:

hometown.aol.com/britishtim/Mainmenu.html

keep on smiley - smileying


Thanks...

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thanks.

You can get the carer's allowance even if you're working.
Get her to give the benefits agency a call.
It can't hurt, and she may be pleasntly surprised.

smiley - smiley


Thanks...

Post 6

PQ

DLA (Disability Living Allowance) is non means tested and is payable in two components - care and mobility
The care component is paid over three scales (need some help sometimes, need help all day, need lots of help day and night)
The mobility component over 2 (can walk a little way unaided (or unaccompanied in the case of mental illnesses) and can't go out at all unaided). Either of these levels entitles the holder to an orange badge and the higher level (if it is to be paid for over three yrs) entitles the holder to the motorbility scheme (in essence a free car/insurance/servicing/mot for three yrs - however the better the car the less *free* it is (we just got an auto ford focus estate for £2000)) as well as *diabled*/free car tax.

The higher rate for both components works out at around £40 a week.

The carers allowance is means tested and you are only eligable if you care for someone for more than 15 hrs a week.

PS I know all this because my hubby is in a wheelchair - however my cousin is autistic (and has just started reading and scared everyone silly by reading EVERYTHING) and I know she gets both components of DLA although I'm not sure which lever.


Thanks...

Post 7

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thanks a lot, The Pencil Queen!

smiley - hug


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 2002 - Autism Awareness Year (UK)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more