A Conversation for Notes from a Small Planet

Voting

Post 1

The Nitpicker

Excellent column as always Ormy.

I too am proud that I have voted in every election (at all levels) that I have been eligible for. I would like to see a 'no suitable candidate' option on the ballot paper even if it was for only ONE general election so that the electorate could send a clear message to the political parties quite how dissatisfied (or satisfied as the case may be) we are with them. Personally I have, for the last 25 years anyway) been in the lucky position of having an MP who I supported as a person rather than as a representative of a party - currently the wonderful Jeremy Corbyn with whose actions I have never disagreed. For example, he ALWAYS said that we should talk to the IRA and kept personal channels of communication open with them and he has been proved right there smiley - smiley


Voting

Post 2

Ormondroyd

Thank you! smiley - smiley

I agree. I see no reason why we shouldn't have a 'none of the above' option on the ballot paper - or the computer screen, if the electronic voting proposals come to pass!

I was also very happy to vote for Jeremy Corbyn when I lived in Islington North. I now have a man named Marsha Singh as my Labour MP. I voted for him largely because the only other candidate with a realistic hope of winning the Bradford West seat was a Tory.

I don't know very much about Mr Singh - he isn't the most conspicuous of characters in the Commons. I have seen him enjoying a smiley - ale in a Bradford pub, but I left him in peace.

However, I do intend to write to him about the Tracy Housel death penalty case. It'll be interesting to see what, if any, response I get! smiley - bigeyes


Voting

Post 3

deackie

Ever since I have been able to vote I've wanted a 'none of the above' box. I always vote in local elections because I know the candidates and the person I vote for, IMO, has the interests of the area as his top priority. Local politics often avoids party politics too, although most candidates are with a particular party. I haven't always voted in general elections because I do not want to be partly responsible for electing someone who's policies I disagree with. I did vote in the last election, however, as we had a Green candidate. It angers me that while we vote for our local representative, their party's line takes priority. For me, this is the biggest conflict of interest in politics.


Voting

Post 4

The Nitpicker

Re "It angers me that while we vote for our local representative, their party's line takes priority" - I am in the lucky position of having an MP who will not just follow the party line smiley - smiley Just check out his record and you will see that if he doesn't agree with it he will NOT vote for it!


Voting

Post 5

deackie

There is still the problem of whips though. If something is given a 3 line whip then the MP will lose the whip if he doesn't vote with the party line and then he won't be able to represent your views (or anyone elses) for a period of time smiley - grr I am not a fan of party politics if you hadn't already guessed.


Voting

Post 6

Ormondroyd

Hmm... I'm not sure that you're right there, deackie. The party whips can't expel or suspend an MP from the House of Commons. They can withdraw their party's support from an MP, but he or she is still an MP, and might represent their constituents better without the whips' interference.

I'd have been delighted to have Martin Bell, or that guy who got in as a 'Save Kidderminster Hospital' candidate, as my MP. They both seemed like real people who really wanted to be helpful!


Voting

Post 7

The Nitpicker

Just check out Mr Corbyn's record on
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/person/howtheyvoted/0,9310,-1116,00.html
(and any other MPs you wish to keep your eyes on) and then tell me that they all follow the whips all of the time smiley - smiley


Voting

Post 8

Ormondroyd

I don't think you got that URL quite right! smiley - bigeyes


Voting

Post 9

The Nitpicker

Well we are out of practise after all (and all the numbers/letters are there) smiley - winkeye


Voting

Post 10

deackie

I know whips can't expel MPs, but from what I understand MPs can have the whip withdrawn. This means that they aren't given the info on what topics are being debated which clearly puts them at a big disadvantage as they won't know what to turn up for and when, and won't be able to prepare.

I haven't had the good fortune to even have an independent candidate in my constituency. There have been some rather underhand conflicts of interest between party and constituents though which left people feeling very betrayed. So why the hell do they continue to vote for these MPs?

The othre big problem I have with party politics is how do I know who I should vote for. A hypothetical situation: The Lib Dem candidate might be the best representative for my constituency. She's available, willing to stand up for us, etc. However, I don't want the leader of the Lib Dems to be prime minister or the Lib Dems to be in Govt, I'd rather have the Green Party. Who do I vote for, the party I want in power or the best candidate to represent me?


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Notes from a Small Planet

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more