The h2g2 Meet Report: Hull

0 Conversations

h2g2 meet-up banner

The h2g2 Hull Meet

We had planned to meet up at the hotel in Hull at 2pm, but as my son and his wife and little Harrison decided to visit me on Saturday morning I couldn't actually set off until 2.30. I'd not left Cleethorpes when I got a text which I pulled over to read 'We're here, where are you?' from Moonhogg. I texted back that I was on my way and would be there soon. I had no problems until I was approx 500 yards from the hotel and I carried straight on instead of left into the car park, and ended up in a dead-end. A quick phone call to Moonhogg soon sorted me out and I drove into the hotel car park. Everyone else was there: TRiG; BMT (formerly ST); Prof; lil and hubby Pete; Virtuouschuffed (lil's daughter) and hubby Vince; Moonhogg and The Missus and Cheeky Monkey and Kitty. We hugged and kissed and introduced ourselves (I'd not met VC and her hubby before) and the others hadn't met TRiG who'd travelled from Ireland the previous night and was booked into the hotel next door as ours was fully booked by the time he decided to attend. After Hoggy and the Missus had taken their kids to the grandparents for babysitting duties, the rest of us went for a walk around the Hull Marina.

I retired to my room to take full advantage of the facilities, having a good long soak in the bath (something I miss since I had my shower room installed). I dressed in my long glittery frock which I'd bought for my sister's wedding last year and felt distinctly overdressed when I met up with the others, who thought on first glance that I was going to join the wedding party which was in full swing by then.

Paper-attendee Pailaway conducting proceedings at the top of the table.

We placed paper attendee Pailaway at the top of the table and lo and behold I received a text message from him (in New Mexico) which I couldn't reply to, although Hoggy did manage to log on to my hootoo Meet journal and post, saying that Pailaway's text had been received, so hopefully he read that. I continued to take calls and texts from others at the London meet, namely Beatrice, MMF and h5ringer, who were eagerly awaiting our connection via the laptops which was supposed to connect the meets electronically. HAH! Talk about the best laid plans, try as he did, BMT couldn't get the things to connect and after much angst and frustration, finally gave up when our meals arrived.

We toasted absent friends and departed friends who were hopefully with us in spirit.

BMT, Prof and Pete in front of the PC trying to connect to the London meet.

There was an (expensive) individual menu or a set menu of three courses for £20, which I plumped for. I chose a chicken salad starter followed by duck in cherry sauce and finished with summer pudding. Couldn't fault the service, at one time we had two waiters and the restaurant manager buzzing round our table (we weren't the only diners), making sure everything was fine with our meals. I'd have had another drink but my first Malibu and pineapple had cost me £5.20 from the hotel bar so I balked at paying that again, plumping instead to save my pennies for the gift shop at The Deep the next day. We made the meal last as long as possible and finally broke up about 10pm, when we retired to the lobby. I left around 11.30 but as my room was on the first floor, right above the wedding party, I was somewhat miffed to be greeted by the sound of the DJ playing loud music as soon as I shut my hotel room door. At 11.45pm I rang down to the front desk complaining about the noise, to be informed that the party was due to end at 1am. When I then swore and stated that I wouldn't be able to get to sleep because of the loud noise, I was assured he would ask the DJ to turn the music down. The music did decrease, but I could still hear 'BOOM, BOOM, BOOM' coming up through the floor and reverberating around the walls. Next morning I went down to the lobby awaiting the arrival of any familiar face, but was so tired I almost fell asleep. I didn't bother having breakfast as I just wasn't hungry.

Having discussed with my fellow guests about the previous night's noise level, I decided to complain when I booked out. The girl on the desk offered to knock off the price of breakfast on my bill. I told her I hadn't had breakfast, so she called the duty manager, who asked if I'd complained at the time of the noise. When I replied that I had, he revised my bill with a 50% discount, which I was satisfied with. Once Moonhogg arrived we all set off for The Deep. I'd got Days Out vouchers from the Tesco Clubcard scheme and there was enough for us all to get in for nothing. The girl on the reception desk also gave me a guide to The Deep as she couldn't give me the £4 change. As I already had one I passed it on to TRiG. The Deep first-timers were thrilled, it deserves its status as one of the best tourist attractions in the whole of the UK. We also spent an enjoyable 20 minutes or so in the Gift Shop at the end of our visit, I treated myself to poster on the constellations, bought a personalised keyring for my son who was cat-sitting at home and also a cute 'Harrisonosaurus' dino savings bank for my youngest grandson's upcoming second birthday. We went our separate ways on the car park as VC's hubby had to prepare for work later, so lil and family were heading home. It was a bit too cold, windy and cloudy for a pleasant walk along the Hessle Foreshore, which was a shame. Hopefully the next hootoo meet isn't too far away.

The h2g2 Meets Archive

Galaxy Babe

24.05.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A68622979

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more