A Conversation for Talking Point: Comedians and Comedy

eddie the genius

Post 1

jenks

I'm glad someone finally put Eddie Izzard down. The man is an absolute Genius and cannot be compared to any of the new stand-ups on the scene at the moment. He has followed in the footsteps of Billy Connelly, combining his simple outlook on life with a touch of Ben Elton's social conscience - but where Ben was sometimes ridiculous, Eddie is usually right...
Cats drilling for oil?
Squirrels in make-up?
First Transvestite Paratroop Brigade?
Genius I tell you!


eddie the genius

Post 2

Geoff Taylor - Gullible Chump

Like I've said on another thread, the Mighty Mr Izzard doesn't do it for me.

Having said that, I've never actually seen him live. But his videos and other TV stuff just leave me cold.

I'll freely admit that I'm a minority, but it just goes to show how subjective comedy really is.


eddie the genius

Post 3

jenks

Maybe this is another male/female thing? All the women I know adore him and find him absolutely hilarious, but I must admit, I can't remember hearing any male friends raving about him.....
Sexuality....Gender...this is starting to get interesting. Some of Eddie's funniest jokes are at his own expense, exploring his transvestism (is that a word?!). Maybe women find that more entertaining because it is kind of like a girly gossip...
Just a theory......Comments please


eddie the genius

Post 4

Bagpuss

Not a m/f thing. I think Eddie's hilarious too and the only person I know who actively dislikes him is a lass.

Favourite Izzard comment on his own clothing:
"I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body."


eddie the genius

Post 5

jenks

Or -
"Transvestites are male tomboys!"

"There are weirdo transvestites and Executive transvestites......I am an Executive Transvestite!"


eddie the genius

Post 6

Ste

"Have I left the gas on?!, 'course not, I'm a f**king squirrel"

smiley - laugh

Stesmiley - stout


eddie the genius

Post 7

mikey

do earwigs make chutney.

pure genius made me laugh till it hurt.


eddie the genius

Post 8

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I never get tired of watching or listening to Eddie Izzard. Seen him live several times, and I have to say that his humour comes over extremely well on cd or video - strange for someone who avoided television exposure for so long. I don't believe his appeal is a male/female thing, I think it's more weird/not weird. You need a certain outlook on life to get his comedy, you need to be able to grasp the surreal ideas that come from his mind.

I think most of his appeal is his material, but let's not forget his delivery, which (even when he's doing his entire act in French), is just plain funny to watch. Not quite as manic as Lee Evans, but I bet he comes off the stage pretty damn knackered.


eddie the genius

Post 9

Sick Bob. (Most recent incarnation of the Dark Lord Cyclops. Still lord and master of the Anti Squirrel League and Keeper of c

I have to agree with the idea of the weird/not weird thing although I see it as more of a conservative/freethinker thing. Most of my friends find Izzard hysterical whether they are male or female. I agree that the only people I've found who dislike him are all male (both of them) but they are also EXTREMELY homophobic and can't cope with the idea of a man in a dress. I think they actually do enjoy the comedy but just don't want to admit to respecting a "lesbian trapped in a mans body." My opinion on that matter is that the man has just ingenuisly put himself in a position where he can pull women of any sexuality. Respect.
Even without this, you have to be a bit silly to find humour in the ridiculousness of it all. A bit like python.

My favourite sketch has to be the one where God (voiced by James Mason) tells Noah (Sean Connery) to build the ark but Noah only wants to build a speedboat and instead of saving all the animals he only wants to save the dogs whose ears'll flap in the wind while he's cruising at 60mph:

"And before he knew what was happening he was punching a gibbon."


eddie the genius

Post 10

Ste

"I want to make a Scchhspeedboat"

smiley - laughsmiley - biggrin


eddie the genius

Post 11

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

".... I agree that the only people I've found who dislike him are all male (both of them) but they are also EXTREMELY homophobic and can't cope with the idea of a man in a dress..."

Talk about reinforcing a stereotype.... smiley - erm

You've just found another male who doesn't like Mr Izzard, and I'm not homophobic or particularly conservative. I'd guess that I also have a fairly well grounded sense of humour because I've just had a STORMING gig tonight at about an hour's notice.

I won't say Mr Izzard is bad. I will say that he doesn't make me laugh. Dunno why; he just doesn't.

Right, now let's kill some poofters smiley - biggrin


eddie the genius

Post 12

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

James Mason is *incredibly* difficult to do. Eddie Izzard and one of the characters in 'Broadway Danny Rose' are the only people I've ever heard do him convincingly.


eddie the genius

Post 13

Sick Bob. (Most recent incarnation of the Dark Lord Cyclops. Still lord and master of the Anti Squirrel League and Keeper of c

Fair enough. If you just don't see why Mr Izzard is funny then I respect your view. For ages I couldn't understand why people found Harry Hill funny when I didn't even smile. However now, for some reason, I seem to get it. It's fine to dislike comedians and I don't judge anyone in their taste in comedy just as long as they can respect a comedian who makes everyone else laugh. It's just people that pretend not to like someone on principle that piss me off.


eddie the genius

Post 14

Kaz

Absolutely.

I personally think Eddie is hilarious too, I would love to see him live, but haven't had the chance yet. Has anyone on this thread been lucky enough to see him live?

I think what I like most about his comedy is that it is all pure observational stuff, and he doesn't have to resort to being rude to get laughs. His timing is excellent. I had absolutely no idea until seeing a bit of that Morcambe and Wise thing last night that he used to be in a double act....

smiley - smiley
Kaz.


Key: Complain about this post