A Conversation for Punch and Judy

Punch and Judy

Post 1

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

It is rather sad that Punch and Judy, once a mainstay of popular culture, are now unknown to so many people. In Canada, the odds are heavily stacked against bumping into someone, with whom you can chat about Punch and Judy. Unless you happen to share the same orbit as a group of English emigres with fond memories of seaside holidays, the odds are astronomically remote. That's sad. We have carried Punch around for literally thousands of years, all around the western world. Now, in one generation, he has lost pride of place to a monotonous succession of plastic robots.


Punch and Judy

Post 2

Divy

Are these not the two who have that *popular* morning TV show on ITV? You know, the ones where they get all those stars to come on their show and talk about what great things they have been doing recently and how they've just finished writing a book and then Punch (I'm not too sure this is the name, though the idea of nicking sausages sounds vaguely familiar) generally says something that shows HOW LITTLE RESEARCH HE'S DONE FOR THIS WHOLE ITEM and how he's not actually been paying much attention to popular culture even if he says he has been?

I could be wrong though.


Punch and Judy

Post 3

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

No! it's something else entirely.


Punch and Judy

Post 4

Divy

There is a correlation though, you must admit, between the rise of Richard and Judy and the decline of Punch and Judy. In a world where things are being constantly
dumbed down
then we are seeing a pattern emerging. Kids like soft drinks. I know, lets make it more *adult* and call them alcopops. Kids like Punch and Judy. I know, lets make it more *adult* and call it This Morning with Richard and Judy.

Obviously it is time for the children of the world to rise up in revolt against this injustice! Come the revolution, my friends... HAHAHA...


Punch and Judy

Post 5

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Yes, I see your point. I am not familiar with The Richard and Judy show; although, based on your description, I know the type. They make me want to jump off a bridge! I think the business of "kidification" is deplorable.


Punch and Judy

Post 6

Researcher 118379

Don't be too disconsolate. Here in Britain there are more Punch and Judy performers than ever in its history - sufficient to support two organizations: The College of Punch Professors, and the Punch and Judy Fellowship. Also there is a strong and healthy Punch scene in the USA and in Australia. For starters have a dekko at http://www.punchandjudy.com
Also Punch's confreres around the world are still active despite computerdom - Pulcinella still holds court in Italy, Polichinelle and Guignol in France, Tchantes in Belgium, Kasper in Germany and Austria are all very active. I'm not as confident about Petrushka in Russia but Turkey's Punch, Kharaguez is still popular.
Mr. Punch may have left the seaside, but he's still busy at birthday parties and shopping malls, carnivals and fetes - he keeps me busy every day.
Chris


Punch and Judy

Post 7

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

That's wonderful. Canada needs Punch and Judy missionaries badly. Perhaps ice hockey plays the role here that Punch and Judy serves elsewhere.. but it's a sad substitute..smiley - winkeye

That's a marvelous website. Thanks.smiley - smiley

JTG


Punch and Judy

Post 8

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

If you like Punch and Judy, you might also be interested in the surreal graphic novel, Punch and Judy. The author is Neil Gaiman, of the esteemed comic book Sandman. He tells the story from the perspective of a man remembering his boyhood, while reminiscing about the decline of Punch and Judy and his own family. Included are some very nice photographs of the Punch and Judy puppets, along with a good description of the show's timeless plot.

I purchased the graphic novel for $20 US from a comic book store. It might just hit a nerve for you.


Punch and Judy

Post 9

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Is the full title 'The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch : A Romance'? That's the best matchI've been able to come up with. It does look interesting.smiley - smiley

JTG


Punch and Judy

Post 10

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

You're right! It has been a while since I read it, and I suppose I changed the title in my own mind. Oops! smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post