A Conversation for Gilbert Ryle's Philosophical Behaviourism

This thread has been closed

mental imagery is behavior

Post 1

roffe

"One criticism says that not all of our mental states are actually showing in our behaviour, and that we can hide them - it is possible to be in a mental state without that state being expressed in our behaviour. Also, some mental states - for example, having an after image - are not linked to behaviour. Nevertheless they are real, and so behaviourism can be argued to be wrong to identify the mental with behaviour."

mental imagery occurs when part of the body induces other parts of the body into seeing behavior. mental imagery is seeing without an object to be seen - in other words, projecting light to the retina is not the only way to make the body engage into seeing behavior. this is discussed in Skinner's _Science and Human Behavior_ (1953). one does not "have" an after image, one _sees_ an after image.


Key: Complain about this post

mental imagery is behavior

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more