360 - Changing the World by Degrees

0 Conversations


360 Diary

Firstly a reminder that '360 - Changing the World by Degrees' is a new BBC website - the 'h2g2 baby' which is dedicated to seeking out people and projects that are making the world a better and safer place to live. There are four main categories - the environment, disease, conflict and poverty and we are looking for stories from all over the world.

This week on 360 I met Henrietta Spink who lives in London. She's a mum of two boys who were born seriously disabled. She also lost two other babies. Most people would just give up - but Henrietta has campaigned for the best possible care and education for her children and she's discovered that their problems stemmed from mercury poisoning. They were poisoned in her womb from the mercury in the fillings in her teeth.

Now she has a good idea how to help them - magnesium has a great effect, apart from other things - and she's started a foundation for people with children with special needs (The Henry Spink Foundation) and she intends to do everything she can to change the world so that such things don't go on happening.

I also met Tony Whitton who works for the World Bank. They're usually being pilloried for all sorts of things - but they have a huge department promoting sustainable development and conservation. Tony is passionate about Mongolia - and his story is on the 360 site with Henrietta's.

Thanks to all of you who've got onto the site. 'Meg' went and found us a story on
Afghanistan from the Internet. Shazz told us about a project in the
Netherlands and there was lots of encouragement.

If you've read the conversations about this in The Post you'll see that we really believe that we all can 'do something' even if it's just the smallest thing. To do nothing means that nothing is done.
And a little carrot... once the site is properly up and running (hopefully in the middle of next month) we will be looking for amateur film of projects and people - and the best ones will go up on the site. They may even go forward to have TV programmes made about them.

Have a wonderful, prosperous and peaceful Christmas season - whatever your faith - and if you get a little spare time with nothing to do, come and visit - and let us know what you think.

Cheers


MaggyW


Changing The World By Degrees Archive

20.12.01. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A673148

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more