Rammstein - The Band

1 Conversation

Six men on a stage, two guitar players, a bass player, a keyboard player, a drummer, and a singer. The bass dominates the sound, the guitars sound like vacuum cleaners on crack, the drum sticks spit fire, the singer hits himself with the microphone while the sleeves of his coat are on fire, the keyboard guy jumps around the stage like a maniac, things explode, more fire, the singer bleeds, and more fire. A Rammstein concert can be a very disconcerting experience for all involved.

Bad Boys

When Rammstein first entered the music scene of Germany in 1994, the unsuspecting audience was in for a shock. Not only was their sound as peaceful as a BLU-82,1 but their lyrics employed imagery that had not been used since the days of expressionist poetry. They sang of sex, and doom, and sex, and the lyrics revealed a preferrence for words like decay, mercy, blood, daggers, sick, or fire. However, the verb 'sing' is misleading. Try to sound as agressive as possibe while hitting the low 'D' is more like it.

In addition to the unusual sound and lyrics, the band's appearance gave people much to wonder about. For one thing, the name of the band stirrs memories of the city of Ramstein, Germany, which became famous in 1988 when two military jets flying very low above the ground during an aviation show crashed into one another and, exploding right by the spectators, killed more than 70 people and severly injured many more. This catastrophy is explicitly referred to in one of the songs of the first album the band released. While the city of Ramstein is spelled with one 'm', the band added a second 'm' to their name, causing the word to take on a different meaning. Rammen is to ram, Stein means stone. Thus, Rammstein can be translated as ramming stone, which indicates rather nicely what the band sounds like.

The way the band chose to show themselves to the public was also quite extraordinary. Their faces seem unable to express more than three emotions: anger, agression, and cold sadness. Equipped with an amalganation of these and the desire to burn stuff on stage, Rammstein went on to become one of Germany's most successful bands of the 1990's.

Bad Rap

When Rammstein started touring, their shows soon became famous. The apparent unconcern for selfinflicted pain, the flames and the brutal style, which is at the most unlikely moment changed into mournful baladesque gloom, quickly drew a huge fan community. However, when the first album, Herzeleid, came out, critics were perplexed. Until then, new bands had been fairly easy to classify; pop music was apolitical,2 punk rock indicated a leftist orientation, right-wing bands stuck out for their lyrics. Rammstein did not fit into any of these categories. Nobody quite had similar lyrics, or a similar style. Their pose on the album cover seemed to give the critics a clue, though. Short haired men showing their naked muscular torsoes while shooting angry stares - that appeared to indicate a right-wing background.

The German music scene has a peculiar trait; leftist bands are usually ignored by both critics and record companies, while right-wing bands will be talked about and crititcized. A reason for that could be the fact that leftist bands may rant about the system, but are otherwise content to be left alone, whereas right-wing music is usually aimed against real people and is often the soundtrack for skinheads beating up people they don't like. Being labelled right-wing can, therefore, cost a band much sympathy among their would-be audience.

The media were very quick to pass that judgement on Rammstein. During the early 90's, news of an upsurge of Neonazi activities in the Eastern part of Germany had shocked the world. Consequently, some people tended to be very careful about anything that came from East Germany, especially when it was anything unusual. In the wake of these developments, Rammstein was a likely candidate to be considered one of those Neonazi type of bands. This verdict was passed unjustly. The musical history of Rammstein's members includes bands like Feeling B and The Inchtabokatables, which constituted part of the core of East German punk music before the unification of Germany. In unified Germany, these bands were known for their decidedly left-wing attitude. Another indicator for Rammstein's not being right-wing is their friendship with Placebo, another band with clearly defined values that reject right-wing thoughts. To clear that point up once and for all, Rammstein produced for their third album the song Links,2,3,4. The catch phrase of that song, which was released as a single, translates as

They want my heart to be right
But when I look down
I see it beating on the left side
.
In true Rammstein style, however, they chose to cause confusion, again. The words of the refrain, Links,2,3,4, are often used by people marching in equal step and are thus, by reminding of uniformity rather than individuality, often associated with right-wing or totalitarian organizations. As many times before, the audience is not given direct access to the band. Rather, if people want to understand Rammstein, they are forced to take a very close look.

INSIDE STORY

When asked how the band started, this is the story the band members will tell.3 The would-be members knew each other and were actually friends. All of them had recently gone through break-up's from their girlfriends. Making music together was less a matter of therapy, but more of a way to communicate their feelings about these experiences - hence the obsession with the aforementioned topics. They did not come up with the typical Rammstein style by knowing what they wanted to do, but by knowing what they did not want to do. The resulting choices were furthermore limited by what things they actually were able to play. Other than that, one of the guys claimed, they were just another boy band.

It is, of course, needless to say that a band's stage appearance and what its members are like personally, are two completely different things. This is even more true for Rammstein. Chances are that you would not recognize them if you met them in your local supermarket. In interviews, the members will often laugh and make fun of each other. One of the stories they like to tell is how Flake (pronounced Flah-keh), the keyboard maniac, would not want to join the band. When they first started practicing, the music was to simple and to boring for him. In his own words, the whole enterprise was just 'too stupid.' The other musicians had to talk a lot to persuade him into playing with them, and he only tentatively agreed. Up to this day, and despite his being an integral part of the organism Rammstein, he has still not officially given his OK.

Outside Glory

The bad comments of the media notwithstanding, Rammstein made it big in Germany. What is more surprising, still, is the fact that they are even popular in other countries. For bands like Rammstein who only sing in German,4 it is hard to find an audience in countries that speak other languages. Nevertheless, Rammstein has many fans abroad, especially in the USA. That may be partly due to a misunderstanding.

The one line that most US American fans will be able to quote is from the song, 'Du hast':

Du hast...
Du hast mich...
When asked what that means, they will likely say, 'You hate me,' and will then go on to say how they can understand and relate to that sentiment. However, Rammstein's lyrics are a bit more sophisticated. If the words are taken out of context, they do sound like the German words 'You hate me;' there is no difference in sound between 'You hate me' - 'Du hasst mich' and 'You have (asked) me' - 'Du hast mich (gefragt).' When they go on singing, or shouting, to be more precise, it becomes evident that it is a play on words. The complete line translates as 'You asked me, and I said nothing.' The song is, again, about relationships; the question 'Will you marry me' is answered with a clear and unmistakeable, 'No.'

A real boost to their carreer came when David Lynch, director of the 'Twin Peaks' TV series, picked two Rammstein songs to be featured in his movie, Lost Highway. The story behind is a nice example how Rammstein goes about things. When they started recording their songs, they realised that they needed to produce video clips, as well. Rather than having the record company choose a video director for them, they sent copies of their songs to all the movie directors they liked. Most of these never responded, at all. David Lynch, however, said that he was not going to make a video, but having listened to the demo CD in his car on his way to work, he decided that these songs were exactly what he wanted for his next movie. The final cut of Lost Highway features the songs, Heirate mich and Rammstein.

Discography

  • 1995
    Herzeleid This album consists of 11 songs. The songs, Du riechst so gut, and Seemann were released as singles. The title translates as Heart's Sorrow.
  • 1997
    Sehnsucht This album also consists of 11 songs. Two singles were released, Engel, and the aforementioned Du hast... The style of this album is remarkably similar to that of its predecessor. This, however, does not come as a surprise; most of the material on the first two albums was written before Rammstein got a record deal. It was not until their third studio album that the band actually wrote new songs. The title of this album translates as Longing.
  • 1999
    Live aus Berlin As the title indicates, this is a live album. It was recorded during two nights in Berlin. These concerts marked the climactic end of a long tour that had taken the band all across Europe, America and even to Japan.
  • 2001
    Mutter Another album with 11 tracks, this record record shows some new developments in style. Rammstein keeps employing the distinct low voice, but now they actually sing on some tracks. Generally, the new album has a greater variety in terms of composition and in they way the instruments are used. So far, three singles have been released, Sonne, Links,2,3,4, and Ich will. A limited tour edition of this album has been recorded and released the same year. The title of the record translates as Mother.
  • In addition to these albums, Rammstein produced some singles of songs that are not to be found on any regular albums. 1997 saw the release of a stomping cover version of Kraftwerk's Das Model, and in the following year, Rammstein recorded their version of Stripped by Depeche Mode and released it as a single. Also in 1998, the band re-released their own song, Du riechst so gut.

Official Web Page

The official Rammstein web page offers background information, lyrics to all their songs, some of which even have a translation into English, and excerpts of many songs to listen to. The web site is well done, fun to read and look at, and will give you a nice impression of the band. Plus it is available both in German and English. Be sure to have your speakers on.

1Also known by such loving names as Daisy Cutter or Commando Vault, this is a 15,000 pound bomb intended to kill and destroy.2...or so they claim.3This information can be obtained from the special features section of the DVD Live aus Berlin. It should be kept in mind, though, that such foundation stories may not always stick to the cold facts.4Their cover version of Depeche Mode's Stripped was an exception from that rule.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A671762

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more