John Keats- Poet.

2 Conversations

In progress

Keats was born in 1795 in London, and originally trained as a surgeon. He later abandoned medicine to become a poet, but wrote only fifty four poems during his lifetime. He died in 1821 of tuberculosis, the disease which had already killed his brother Tom.

Keats' poetry

Keats was one of the last poets of the Romantic era, and wrote poetry that was characterised by the intensity and beauty of the language. One common theme in his poetry was the transcience of life, of which he had first hand experience. When Keat's later poems were written he had already been diagnosed with TB.

The poems

Odes

Keats wrote many shorter odes, including 'Ode to Psyche', 'Ode to a Nightingale','Ode to Melancholy' and 'Ode on a Grecian Urn'.

'Ode on a Grecian Urn' looks at the way in which Art, for all its permanence, does not have the intensity or passion of life. It ends on the lines:

'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,"- that is all

Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
Some ascribe this to the voice of the urn itself within the poem, and others to Keats' own view. Keats' poems draw heavily on classicism, despite the fact that he himself was unable to read the classics in their original language. Because of this, he was looked down upon by his contemporaries and branded 'The Cockney Poet.'

'Ode to Melancholy' is ostensibly a poem which addresses ways of escaping life through suicide, concluding that 'Melancholy' is productive and that suicide is not an option ("No, no, go not to Lethe"1). The poem is a carefully thought-out argument from start to finish, and contains some very moving images of depression-'And when the Melancholy fit shall fall/ Sudden from heaven like a drooping cloud...'

'Ode to a Nightingale'..........Will follow.............

Longer poems

When Keats died, he left two poems unfinished: 'Hyperion' and 'Thingymajig' (I can't remember, OK- this entry will get better when I get some reference books out. I'm just trying to remember stuff for now, so I can't vouch for the factual accuracy of anything until it's finished.)

By the way, anyone who reads this, I'm completely stuck with it- should I aim for a short summary of each of the poems or stick to purely biographical stuff (with which I can easily fill an entry) and do separate entries for the poems?

1Lethe is one of the rivers of hell

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A658406

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more