A Life on the Ocean Wave: Ups and Downs

0 Conversations

The Achille Lauro

Hello. My name is Emma and I go on cruises. Mostly, so far on P&O ships out of Southampton, but other perfectly good cruise companies are available. ;-) When I can, I con my parents into paying for my ticket.


When I travel, I blog. If you would like to read it all, it can be found at my PS. The Post have asked me to proffer some edited highlights of my ramblings, which I shall now inflict on you forthwith. Enjoy.

Ups and Downs

No, don't worry, we haven't hit stormy seas! Just the usual peaks and troughs of daily life.

Up

Today, the new couple on our table provided several moments of entertainment. Firstly, Sonia decided against ordering the soup. She said she didn't like the sound of plum soup. When we'd all finished crying with laughter, we pointed out that the menu had said plum TOMATO soup.

Then her husband, Mike, told about their visit to the Coliseum in Rome. He went to the toilet and found himself standing next to a Roman Centurion. As you do. So he took his picture! In the loos! Poor bloke couldn't even pee in peace! They're lovely, the new couple. I still miss Barbara and Dave, although I still see them when they need an email typing or sending, but they were great fun. Sonia and Mike are very entertaining, as you can see for yourself, but things are less... raucous, I think is the word I'm looking for. Barbara said that they are regretting changing tables, as their new tablemates are boring beyond belief. One couple show them photos of their dog EVERY NIGHT! The same photos, every night. But that's the risk you take when you have a good table of people and you move elsewhere... it's a risk. They took it, they lost. Tough! :D No sympathy from the dumpee!

Down

Dinner was a bit of a disaster, really, all in all. Both our waiters disembarked today (they're almost all Goan, so Mumbai is their stop), so we have new ones, who don't know our foibles or peccadilloes, and they struggled to cope. Simple things like remembering to refill our water glasses (which bearing in mind how hot it was in Mumbai today and the average age of cruise passengers is actually slightly dangerous) or giving me a teaspoon to eat the ice cream I had ordered with (triple chocolate with chocolate sauce, before you ask). (I am aware of the grammatical clumsiness of that last sentence but "with which" sounded so pompous, I decided against it.)

Up


Gateway to India as seen from the harbour

Today I didn't get off the ship. I've seen Mumbai several times, and I don't much like it, to be honest. It's such an assault on the senses – sight, sound, smell – and the crowds are ceaseless. I'm not a big fan of crowds at the best of times, but crowds of people with no concept of personal space is beyond me, I'm afraid. Instead, I decided to pamper myself. I had a massage, a pedicure and a manicure. In future, I'll do it the other way round. I ruined my manicure getting changed for dinner. Next time, if I have it first, it can dry during the massage. I'll have to have at least two fingers redone tomorrow. Left thumb and right little finger, fact fans. Dionne, the nail technician, is obsessed with Justin Timberlake and plays no other music. Gabriel, my (male) masseur, is brilliant and lovely. When I waved at him with wet nails to say my water bottle was empty, he offered me the hand sanitising gel to drink! Well, it has got alcohol in it, but I'm not sure that that qualifies it as potable... The pedicure chair has a foot bath and is also a massage chair, so I actually got TWO massages!

Up

Australia Day. All very silly. Drinking games and competitions between Brits and Ozzies. Good fun. The Ozzies won, resoundingly. I joined the Ozzie side, but I wasn't much help!

Up

Went out on deck with a smoker friend at midnight and found a man (passenger) playing Meat Loaf songs on a banjo. No, really. He did other stuff, obviously - Dolly Parton, Eagles, Tom Jones, all sorts - but it was Bat out of Hell that really stuck in my mind. Can't think why...

A Life on the Ocean Wave Archive

em-ma6

29.03.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A65622350

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more