A Conversation for Glögg

glögg

Post 1

Dreamweaver

We have to be careful not to make our readers think that there is only one recipe for GLÖGG, every one I know has at least two, so I believe there RE more recipes for this beverage than there are Swedes!

My favourite is called "DUNDERGLÖGG".

Take 1 37.5 cl bottle of snaps, 1 75 cl bottle of Port, 1 75 cl bottle of rough country wine, 1 orange (washed and dried), 4 cubes of sugar,1 coffee cup water, 6 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick and 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds.

To serve: 2 cups raisins and 2 cups blanched almonds

*Method*

Put all spices in a small pan with the water. Put on the lid and boil for 5 minutes. Put aside to stand overnight before sieving off the
spices. Put all the alcohol in a large pan, add the spice mixture, rub two of the sugar cubes all over the orange to absorb the zest and then drop them into the pan. Chop the blanched almonds roughly and add to the mixture along with a couple of cups of raisins. Heat gently.

Grab the remaining sugar cubes one at a time with a pair of tongs and set them alight. Hold them over the pan and let the sugar drip into the liquid. If you have difficulty in setting them alight try to dip a corner in a little wood ash. The burning sugar add a caramelly taste to the concoction. Do not overheat as the alcohol then will evaporate. The name "GLÖGG" come from the glowing poker traditionally thrust into it to heat the liquid quickly. That was before the time of electric cookers, when heating it slowly over a fire would have evaporated most of the alcohol. When serving make sure everyone gets an amount of almonds and raisins in their cup as this adds to the effect.


glögg

Post 2

Titania (gone for lunch)

Thanks Dreamweaver!smiley - smiley

I'll rephrase then entry somehow, mention that this is only one recipe among many...


glögg

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

Dreamweaver - my entry has now been edited - would you like to come and post your recipe?
I've started a conversation titled 'More recipes...' which can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A659388


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more