A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

Doctor Who

Post 5221

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

How far back are you thinking for spoiler problems? I'm staying away from the thread until after I have watched the latest episode, which is probably sufficient. Personally I would rather not know information about what will happen in episodes as yet un-aired - e.g. stuff they have talked about in interviews, next episode previews, etc. - but speculation is fine.

This latest episode started well - I loved the opening monologue - and about 15-20 minutes in I was starting to view it as a highlight of the season so far, but then the setting kept changing, and it kind of lost its way. The ending monologue just didn't do it for me, although I may have been influenced by my flatmate, who was sat next to me finding it utterly cringeworthy. I *think* the plot wrapped up reasonably neatly, and what I understand of it is a nice aversion of clichés, but I am pretty sure it could have been better implemented.
All in all, I am finding recent Who - the last two or three seasons, in fact - to have brilliant *moments* that make it more than worth continuing to watch, but not continuous brilliance.


Doctor Who

Post 5222

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Also, I don't think I'm keen on that Pink guy. If he "doesn't do weird", he isn't going to do well on Doctor Who in general.


Doctor Who

Post 5223

SiliconDioxide

Clara saved the day again (or was it the universe, I lose track). About time she got rid of the grumpy sidekick if you ask me.


Doctor Who

Post 5224

Peanut

Yes, I mean what you said, nothing about what they have said in interviews, previews about unaired episodes,and the like. I switch over as soon as the ep has finished, don't watch the 'next time' bits. In fact sound stays down until it has started as once in the introduction, the person introducing the ep, said had something along the lines of, hang on to your hats, the cybermen are back in town smiley - rolleyessmiley - cross


Speculation I am all for that, is part of the fun.


Doctor Who

Post 5225

Mol - on the new tablet

Nod thought this ep was brilliant, very creepy, and has set the standard against which she'll be judging all the other episodes.

Missed it myself and the PVR didn't record it for some reason smiley - sadface

Mol


Doctor Who

Post 5226

Deb

With regard to spoilers, my view is that this is a place to discuss the episode already aired and so comments about what's happened are not only acceptable but necessary. I avoid this thread like the plague until I've seen the episode. That said, I try not to give TOO much away just in case.

What's coming next week would constitute a spoiler so I try to be careful not to give anything away if I want to comment on what's coming.

I agree about speculation though - that's all part of the fun smiley - smiley

Deb smiley - cheerup


Doctor Who

Post 5227

Deb

Oh, and just cos it's something vaguely related I saw earlier:

http://wapsisquare.com/

You can scroll down to the last frame for the bit that made me smile in recognition smiley - biggrin My favourite episode ever.

Deb smiley - cheerup


Doctor Who

Post 5228

Bluebottle

I agree – there's no harm in discussing what has happened and been broadcast, and if you've not had a chance to see it, simply don't read this thread until after you've caught up. There's no joy in spoiling the episode, but I agree that speculation adds to the fun. So it is okay to say something like, 'I think Mr Pink is secretly a Dalek' but if you had read a spoiler that revealed that this piece of nonsense was true and said 'This year's twist is that Mr Pink is a Dalek', that would be unfair.

(In the unlikely event of any plot twists revealing that Mr Pink is, in fact, dalek-related, I apologise).

<BB<


Doctor Who

Post 5229

Peanut

I don't know what the mild spoilers above were, because as I said I just scrolled really quickly avoiding them. If they were just warning people about a recently aired ep, in case anyone reading it hadn't yet watched it then then that is fine. smiley - ok

I thought this was the thread to discuss the latest episodes aired I just wanted to check it was a spoiler free thread. smiley - biggrin


Doctor Who

Post 5230

Bluebottle

We used to have a seperate Spoiler Thread, so if people wanted to post spoilers, they can do so in the spoiler zone, meaning that those of us who want to be shocked and surprised can enjoy our Doctor Who discussions without having the twists, turns and reveals stolen.

<BB<


Doctor Who

Post 5231

Deb

Looking back, the mild spoiler alert was about the episode that had already aired so not really a spoiler. So if you're interested, Peanut, you can go back and read it safely smiley - smiley

I too would rather avoid spoilers. That's why I've always enjoyed this thread.

Deb smiley - cheerup


Doctor Who

Post 5232

Vip

Mmmm. I definitely enjoyed this episode more than all of the ones before it. I could suspend reality more comfortably, and the Doctor is finally starting to gain a bit more confidence (although he is still desperate for Clara's acceptance, which is slightly cute and slightly odd!).

smiley - fairy


Doctor Who

Post 5233

Whisky

One thing I've noticed about this season... Things have gotten a bit more complicated...

Gone seem to be the 'standard' episodes where time travel is treated as just a means to get to a new location for an adventure... The whole idea of time travel seems to be built into the story (clara's multiple attempts to chat up her 'boyfriend'; the doctor being the architect and leaving clues for himself in the future... etc.)


Doctor Who

Post 5234

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Hmmm. There was some fun stuff in there, but I am not sure all the loose ends were tied up. For a start, how is it that Clara can 'blank her mind' when the rest of them can't? And how could thingy be so sure her clones wouldn't rebel? She doesn't seem the type to take orders easily, and no mroe from 'herself' than anyone else.
I did notice that they mentioned the woman who gave Clara the Doctor's number again, so I reckon that will get resolved before the ned of the season.


Doctor Who

Post 5235

Bluebottle

I've been assuming that Missy of the Promised Land was the woman in the shop, but I've yet to see her anywhere shoplike (unless the shop in question was a tea room).

<BB<


Doctor Who

Post 5236

Lusus

"The whole idea of time travel seems to be built into the story..."

I agree. This episode touched more on the paradoxes of time travel. For instance, if the Doctor hadn't told the clone to call him in the future he wouldn't have devised a plan to break into the bank. And if he hadn't broken into the bank he wouldn't have met her in the first place to tell her to phone him.

I also agree that the Doctor does seem to be getting more assertive. This was the first time he didn't rely so heavily on Clara to resolve the situation. Having said that he still seems incredibly naive for someone who has spent so much time around humans. He mentioned Clara's painted face and that she appeared taller (due to her high heels).


Doctor Who

Post 5237

Deb

He made some comment towards the end, after he'd dropped Clara off, something along the lines of "Now THAT's what you call a date" or "How's that for a date?". So perhaps he's noticing her differently?

I do hope they don't go down that route.

Deb smiley - cheerup


Doctor Who

Post 5238

Bluebottle

Was the Doctor naïve about Clara's make-up and high heels, or just disinterested/feigning indifference? I assumed that the Doctor wasn't flirting with Clara, but as he always likes to show off, he proved that if he had been interested in dating, he could do it better.

That said, the last Doctor was naïve, never considering what Rory and Amy were getting up to in the smiley - tardis on their honeymoon...

<BB<


Doctor Who

Post 5239

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I think it's more that he isn't willing to make the effort (however minimal) to puzzle out what Clara is doing or thinking.


Doctor Who

Post 5240

Peanut

I took that line in a different way, Clara has a normal life of her own, she has a job, is dating, her own place etc, all of which she seems to be getting fulfilment from, is excited about and committed to. She isn't sitting around waiting or longing for the Doctor to call she has her own stuff to be doing.

Flying around in Tardis, saving species and the world, day trips to any time and place in the universe surely adds spice and excitement to life and this part of her life and the Doctor is important to her also but at her insistence that it revolves around her ordinary life, not the other way round.

She seems very level headed in this respect and has a good balance going on.



Perhaps the new Doctor doesn't get how Clara's ordinary life experiences can possibly compare to those she has with him, not an unreasonable question either, one which every companion has to deal with and was a reflection of the fact for her that it seems compare well.










Key: Complain about this post