A Conversation for Print On-Demand Book Publishing

Thread Moved

Post 21

Hoovooloo

May I be the first to offer my heartiest congratulations to jwordsmith on the occasion of her first entry into the Edited Guide.

Well done j! smiley - cheers

H.


Congratulations

Post 22

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

And I'll be the second!smiley - star Nice work indeed! smiley - ok

I hope this is the first of many...

smiley - doctorsmiley - angelJ


Thread Moved

Post 23

Nightshade, Guardian Angel and Grey Lady

Congratulations!


Thread Moved

Post 24

jwordsmith

Woo-Hoo!

Thanks Hoovooloo, for your support.

smiley - smiley


Thread Moved

Post 25

xyroth

by the way, it is possible that if the current raft of american legislation (dmca, etc) don't get challenged, that the technology to do this will become illegal, despite only being used for legal purposes.


Thread Moved

Post 26

Hoovooloo

Er... which bit of technology?

Unless my memory is fading more than I can remember, the technology involved isn't much more than extremely fancy printers and storage media. Which specific bit of P.O.D. tech is threatened?

H.
Looking at my hard drive and my deskjet and getting worried...


Thread Moved

Post 27

xyroth

copying any part of an copyrighted work, even a snipet of a book for a book review.

and the legislation is the digital milenium copyright act, and the even more unreasonable successor.


Thread Moved

Post 28

xyroth

in fact, the successor bill is talking about making it compulsory for any device which has the ability to use for file copying to have to support expensive, closed source copyright id checkers.

Of course this would also make any opensource operating system illegal, along with compliers, interpreters, etc, so it would be illegal to do any programming.


Thread Moved

Post 29

jwordsmith

Hmmm, not sure about this, but with POD the author (copyright holder) grants the distributing company a license to distribute the content. The best companies take a non-exclusive licence. Therefore, the permissions should be OK since it is one, central company doing the printing, not the end-user.

Julie

PS Thanks to all who offered congrats. I'm tickled.


Thread Moved

Post 30

xyroth

where the possibility comes for making this illegal is using the successor legislation, while having the copying permission being expensive.

in thatcase, even authors won't be able to grant permissions, as the certificate for granting permissions could legally be exhorbitantly expensive.


Thread Moved

Post 31

xyroth

sure the author could grant permissions, but only if they could afford the certificate to allow them to grant permissions.

that is why the whole idea is at risk.


Thread Moved

Post 32

jwordsmith

Hmmm, can someone point me in the direction of a discussion about these pieces of legislation and their effects?


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Print On-Demand Book Publishing

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more