How to Speak Cat

3 Conversations


Some people assume that human beings are the only creatures on the planet that have developed the ability to speak. This is not true. Communication is used by a huge number of species, from the simple body language of beetles to the complex song of whales. Somewhere in between this there appears a species known as the Cat. Our domesticated cats have developed quite a complex form of verbal and physical communication extending far beyond the "Meeow" that most people use to represent it.


Verbal Communication


This is the most obvious form of communication that we perceive. Despite only being able to form a limited number or noises cats do have a surprisingly varied vocabluary:


brrr
A tired form of greeting. Cats make this sound when woken up by someone they know. If woken by a stranger however cats will flee in terror.

brrr-  REEOW

A greeting or farewell made when entering or leaving the house, or when meeting you as you arrive home. Usually said when a cat is hungry.
C- H- EEE
Hissing is most often a sign of fear rather than anger. More nervous cats will hiss at the appearance of a stranger, but stepping on any cat's paw will give a very loud example! Cats will say this in an attempt to frighten off opponents in a fight.
(See also REE- OOO (challenge) and and Fur on end)

mee- OWW
This is only actually said when a cat makes demands. This can range from telling you to hurry up with their food, to asking you not to push them off of the sofa.
REE- OOOA challenge, usually to other cats. It's a sign of aggression, and often a precursor to a fight.
(See also C- H- eee (hissing) and Fur on end)
rrr- AHA- AHA- AHAOne of the rarest sounds that cats make. They say this when trying to catch birds, attempting to imitate the sound of bird song. It is often used to tempt birds out of trees but it almost never works.

thrrr-  thrrr-  thrrr-  thrrr

Purring, possibly the most common of cat sounds. A sign of contentment made when a cat is stroked, but feeding gives the best example.
(See also Eye-Squinting and Padding)

Body Language


On top of this verbal vocabulary cats have an extensive body language. In many circumstances (particularly when meeting other cats) this is more important than verbal communcation:


Dilated Pupils
This is a signal of terror. A cat being persuaded into its carrying box will display this. Also used when hunting.
Eye-SquintingA sign of submission. When meeting large opponents cats will often squint their eyes in an attempt to avoid a conflict. It is also a sign of affection.
(See also thrrr- thrrr- thrrr- thrrr- (purring) and Padding)

Swishing Tail
This is not actually caused by anger, but indecision. Cats will swish their tails when trying to decide whether or not to go out into the rain, or when assessing whether to fight an enemy or flee.

Fur on end

To try an make themselves look bigger in a fight cats make all of their fur stand on end and arch their back. It is usually the smaller cat in a confrontation that does this. Some more nervous cats are actually frightened off by this.

Nuzzling

Cats either do this when stroked or when trying to get your attention to feed them. Two cats sometimes nuzzle when they meet to show friendship.

Head on Paws

Cats can be quite amazing sulkers, and this is how they do it. When thrown off of a bed or sofa cats will lay full length on the floor, rest their head on their paws and sulk. They can do this for a surprisingly long time.

Padding

When settling down to sleep cats will first pad their potential bed. It is also used to show contentment.
(See also thrrr- thrrr- thrrr- thrrr- (purring) and Eye-Squinting)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A635357

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more