How to make Hair Extensions

2 Conversations

The MY LITTLE PONY PHENOMENON


OR: HOW TO LOOK MORE CYBER IN MINUTES.



A magnolia in a strip of film

You may well be wondering what all this is about. Well, a lot of people, when they go clubbing, like to have mad manga type hair. (Bunches, dredlocks, mohawks, high ponytails, plaits, in pink, UV yellow, white, black, green, purple, or any combination of the above. You can see some examples of this here. ) You can achieve this by

  1. Spending many hours with a bottle of peroxide, 'Directions' hair dye, and a bottle of ShockWaves (TM), to emerge triumphant with pink fingers and a ruined bathroom, or

  2. Making yourself some rather trendy hair extensions, which you can clip in before you go out, astound everybody with your vertical manically coloured hair, and then whip out in time for work the next day.


Although there are still the die-hard brigade who are prepared to suffer for their art, some of us have jobs to go to and have had to research different alternatives...



Folk in fancy dress.

TO MAKE A PAIR OF BUNCHES (THE "MY LITTLE PONY" STYLE)::

YOU WILL NEED:

  1. Two large metal hairgrips (The ones that look like bulldog clips. Make sure you get ones that either have small handles, or pretty ones you don't mind showing. Claires Accessories do some good ones with hollow handles to thread the hair through. Metal ones are best, as they don't tend to break. You could use
    actual bulldog clips, which would be very post-industrial and cyber but might hurt your head.

  2. Ribbons and various artifacts to attatch to your ponytails. If you're a trad goth you'd probably use black lace ribbons and black and purple fake flowers, if you're a cybery type you'd want dayglo ribbons or those plastic UV strings, with glowing beads... be creative. If you're not taking it very seriously, you could use plastic spiders or dolls heads or pompoms.... go have a look at the toy stalls on the market for inspiration, or a haberdashery department. For more ideas, try the Strawberry Switchblade look....

  3. Elastic bands. You can get little black ones which are all the same size and look neater from afro carribean hair shops and stalls.. if you don't have these nearby you could try hairdressers, or give up and buy a packet of multicoloured ones from a stationary store...

  4. Something to cover up the messy bit where it wraps around the clip. You could use a scarf, or scrunchies, or my personal favourite, the cut-up nylon tight scrunchie...

  5. The Hair. The best stuff to use is the proper fake nylon hair in bright colours from afrocaribbean shops, usually about £2 or £3 for enough to make one ponytail (or two if you're frugal)...if you're not lucky enough to live near one of those shops, you can use wool. Make the wool twice as long as the finished ponytail will be so you can double it up. Try 2 or 3 contrasting colors..pink/white is good, or black/purple/white - you get the idea. White often glows under UV, which can only be a good thing! You'll need a couple of balls of wool, either very fine or very thick, or a mixture of the two works well. Aim to make the ponytails about the same length as your real hair, remembering they will be sticking up a bit so they'll need to be a couple of inches longer. If you have very short hair you'll need to be inventive with the clips you use, or maybe use a hairband instead so that they hold in properly.

  6. ..thats it. You are now ready to MAKE THE HAIR

ASSEMBLING YOUR PONYTAILS



This is fairly self evident. First separate your hair (5) into two bunches (or as many as you have clips) - you may find it easier to thread it into a pair of old tights (especially with the nylon) to make it easier to handle as it can get a bit knotty if you're not careful. Put a lot of one colour (usually black or white) and then streaks of other colours on it. Arrange the hair so that you can see all the interesting bits. Then thread the hair through the loops in your hairgrips (1) and fasten with as many elastic bands (3)as necessary. Tie in ribbons, bits of string, dead animals (2)etc and hide the knobbly bit with a scrunchie (4)... Thats pretty much it - you can spend a lot of time putting little plaits in and beads and stuff to make them look prettier but thats up to you!


NOW CLIP IN YOUR HAIR, PUT ON YOUR PLATFORM BOOTS, AND PARTY LIKE THE HOOPY FROOD YOU ARE.....


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A635087

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more