The Ultimate Chocolate Cake

2 Conversations

A fine Chocolate Cake is very simple to make and the results are most rewarding. Remember, if it goes wrong you can use it to make a wonderful trifle.

Although very similar in nature to the Tasty Jam Sponge, the Chocolate Cake has its own nuances and strong points. Here is a recipe for Chocolate Cake of generous proportions.

Ingredients

  • 140 g or 5 oz self-raising flour (wholemeal preferably)
  • 60 g or 2 oz cocoa powder
  • 340 g or 12 oz butter or soft margarine
  • 170 g or 6 oz caster sugar
  • 3 medium or 2 large eggs
  • 140 g or 5 oz icing sugar
  • some cooking chocolate - as much as you want to cover the top with!

You will also need

  • 2 baking tins (about 18 cm or 7 inches in diameter)
  • an oven
  • a sieve

Method

Sieve flour and 30 g/1 oz of the cocoa powder together. Next, cream the sugar and 170 g/6 oz of marge together in a separate bowl using a metal spoon. Once the mixture is fluffy and light gradually fold in the chocolatey flour until all is mixed together. Finally, break the eggs in a small bowl and whisk them. Add these to the mixture and beat with a wooden spoon as hard as you can. This takes a lot of arm-work! Alternatively, shove the lot in a food mixer and whizz round.

Grease the two tins and then spoon in the mixture. Level the mixture in the tin using a spatula and place in the oven on Gas Mark 5 (probably 425°F or 200°C) for 15 to 20 minutes. This is best on the highest shelf.

Once the time is up you can check the cakes by sticking a knife in and making sure it isn't covered in gooey mixture when you remove it. Cool the tins on a rack for about 5 minutes but don't place them in a draft, otherwise they will sink. Work them loose with a knife and shake them out to finish cooling.

Mix the icing sugar with 170 g/6 oz of margarine and 30 g/1 oz of cocoa powder to make a buttercream. When the cakes have cooled spread the buttercream over one loaf. Sandwich together and then decorate the top with a nice thick layer of melted cooking chocolate. Once this sets, the cake is ready to eat but use a good serrated knife to cut it.

Consume on its own or with a nice cup of tea.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A635078

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more