Policrateia: a Summary

2 Conversations

This will become the second chapter of the Project Policrateia.

Summary: Policracy is an political system based on the good values of Democracy, Federalism en Aristocracy. Why are these values chosen too be the base of the system? Democracy is chosenbecause it is a widely accepted form of government and it gives the citicens the ability to choose and to keep invluence in the government. Federalism is an political form which lay down the power on a level as close to the citizens as possible. With Aristocracy there is meant the political form is described by Plato and Machiavelli: "the government of some gives the most powerfull descission making abilities, the government of many is weak government. Democracy is only a solution to keep as many people as possible satisfied"

In Policrateia the federal system gives the power to the city of county (Polis ib greek, therefore the name; Policrateia, which means citypower). Like said the Polis can be a city, like the ancient Athenes in Greece, but also a group of villages or a combination of a city and some villages. the fundaments are the Democratic fundamental right of the citizens. They have the rights to choose the size of their Polis, the political structure of it and the powerlevel of the government. Next follow some political forms which can be imagined, but a noted has to be made that almost endless variations can be created:

  1. Peoples-Policracy

    The most fundamental of all the policratic systems is the people-policracy. In this form all inhabitants of a community have the power. There is no assembly which is making the laws, nor should there be a government. But mostly there shall an executive authority. This authority pays responsibility to the peoples congres in which every adult citizens has a seat. The peoples congres is derived from the Athens assembly and functions by debate.
  2. Parliamentary-PolicracY

    This medium form of policracy operates mainly the same way as the peoples-policratic form. But in this case the people elect an assembly which makes the laws and the elect an executive authority which takes care of the daily business. The assembly and authority are elected half way. So the people elect the assembly in Januari and the authority in July. Each governmental body operates at least one year.
  3. Aristocratic-Policracy

    In this case the people give away their powers for at least one year and maximum three and a half years. The executive and law making powers lay at one single body: the Aristocratic counsil in which some of the communities noblemen have a seat. The Aristocrats are not hereditary but elected in that livelong function. After working hard in the community people can candidate someone for this title and on the peoples congres which is at least once a year they elect the person in this position or not.

The next stage in the Policracy is the union of the Poleis (plural for Polis)into a State. Most preferably the power of a polis in the state depends on it's size in financial power and number of inhabitants. All Poleis sent their deputies to the Poleis Congres. There a polis can have relative decline in economic power and in inhabitants, the votes in the Poleis Congres (PC) can fluctuate and should be adjusted in time. In the PC the voting happens by qualified majority(67%). The tasks of the PC are the creation and mangaging the Central Bank, International Relations, Defense and Interpoleis Infrastructure. Even the allocation of social funds can be or become a task for the PC. The Poleis Congres functions as a Parlementairy Democracy, therefore there shall probably be much more Members of the Poleis Congres(MPC) than there are now MP's (In a country like the UK approximately 1500!). To manage the daily business the Poleis Congres installs an Government which actualy functions as Machiavelli's Aristocrac, there it is impossible to let al the MPC work daily together on everything. So the Poleis Congres comes together every month to evaluate the Government.

Fees and Commissions for Politicians.

The Members of the Poleis Congres and the Government should not receive riant salaries, but only commissions to meet their expenses. This is because they are working for the citizens, but also citizens themselfs and they serve the people. Politics should be like a proffesional hobby, not a job. This prevents that there comes a caste of proffessional politicians, because now the politicians stop after some time to get a job and make money. this is like Plato's idea of Philosofers and Soldiers. also according to this Philosophy should the buildings of the Poleis Congres and the Government be sober, without any luxoury.

Policrateia © E.LuxZen, 2001


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A633809

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more