Cafés of Cheltenham

1 Conversation

Cafés of Cheltenham

Welcome! If you have found this page from a note left in a café then brilliant, I hope that you agree with what I have written here. Any comments are welcomed.

This guide is currently being constructed, if you know of any cafes I have missed or would like to validate my reports then please do so and I will be happy to update this.

If you are currently in Cheltenham and looking for a really good cup of coffee then this guide should lead you to it. It will review and rate all the coffee shops in and around the center of Cheltenham, with criteria such as value, atmosphere and the flavor of coffee.

Background

Prior to the autumn months of 2000 Cheltenham had the usual selection of shops1, banks, pubs, clubs and other entertainment venus that you might find in any small english town. Then a change happened almost a revolution, the coffee revoluton. By Christmas 2000 café’s and coffee shops were beginning to appear in larger numbers than usual and a walk down the highstreet became a hop for café to café. And not the usual local individual shops that were there before, now chain stores were here including Costa and Starbucks. Now when a Starbucks inhabits a town something really big is a foot.

Considedring the huge array of places and choice that now exists for the average caffine difficient punter this guide will give you the facts about each café and where you can find the best latte in a hurry. The Reviews have been categorized into location groups for ease of navigation.

The Café Review

NOTES

In order to campair all establishments fairly the testing is based upon a café latte and the smallest available2 in the café so that price and value for money could also be compaired. The strength rating is from one to five where one is almost milk and five is nearing on a straight espresso.

SOHO Coffee Co.
LocationCambrey Place
First ImpressionsFrom outside you may not instantly recognize this as a café, in-fact even from the entrance you may not be totally sure weather you can actually get good cup of coffee here. But fear not, you can, you just have to go to the back.
MenuThe drinks menu is small with just the usual latte, cappuccino and americano selections as well as tea and hot chocolate. All are also available in three sizes. The sandwich and snack list is vast with hot and cold options as well as freshly cooked pizza.
PricingA small café latte cost £1.25, which is inexpensive compaired to other café’s and was an average size cup. The largest cup was priced at £1.75.
The CoffeeThe café latte was one fresh espress shot in pre-made throthed milk which meant thet there was no real foam to be seen. There were sadly no availale toppings and the espresso was a little weak. It did make for a very nice mild creamy café latte with a strength rating of 2.
StaffThe staff seemed friendly but not overwhelmingly welcoming they didn’t rush each customer which was refreshing.
InteriorThe interir of SOHO Cofee CO. sadlt lets the experience down. Seating is on hight alauminoum chairs at a small shelf that runs aroung the walls of the café which isn’t perticulary cumfortabe and there weren’t enough for the number of clientell which ment an uncomfortable stand at the shelf. This style of seating means there is no group seating. This all makes it not very suitable for children and the five steps up to the counter means that disabled customers would find it innaccesible.
AtmosphereThe chrome and wood floor interior along with the lack of grouped seating gives the fealing of being in a machine and there is a lack of people chatting to make you feel comfortable.
FacilitiesThere is just one toilet which is very small and at the top of the steps.
Lasting ImpressionsThis is not somewhere that you would return to for the atmosphere or to sit and have a drink, t is quick allowing you to get a quick coffee to take to work. It is very much a take away coffee and sandwich place for people at work locally.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

.
Location.
First Impressions.
Menu.
Pricing.
The Coffee.
Staff.
Interior.
Atmosphere.
Facilities.
Lasting Impressions.

1Thought there are an unusually high number of teckie shops, possibily related to the number of government scientists that live nearby.2This is mainly due to the café lattes subtle flavour and creation and inorder to reduce the caffine consumption while researching.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A631757

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more