A Conversation for Notes From a Small Planet

Sven Goran v Englishmen

Post 1

Demon Drawer

Typical of the English mentality see IDS as well, only a Englishman should get the job of English manager. That would actually be against the law as Sven Goran is a EU citizen and therefoe hasthe right to work in any EU nation that he wants to without having to apply for a work permit, as every UK citizen has the same right reciprocated throughout the EU.

Do the English think they can exist on their own? Do they want independence? If so great. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland already have experience to some extent of governing themsleves. Mind you I think all 3 of them would be likely to enter in the Eurozone a lot quicker if it weren't for the tale dragging English at Westminster.


Sven Goran v Englishmen

Post 2

Frankie Roberto

I think you can celebrate England without fear now. The fat, bawling hooligan English supporters are a minority and a lot is being done to make it more family-friendly.

Great column by the way. I agree with nearly everything you say!


Sven Goran v Englishmen

Post 3

Ormondroyd

Make that 'the conservative English mentality, DD! Please don't accuse us all - I've made it clear enough what I think of that kind of insular attitude!

But everything you say about EU employment law is obviously true. It's interesting to speculate on what might have happened had the FA shortlisted Mr Eriksson and then given the job to a less qualified Englishman. Presumably he could have sued! Imagine what the tabloid headlines would have been like then!

To play smiley - devil's advocate for a moment, it can be argued that international sport is a special case because the players usually need some birth qualifications to play for a country. In the case of soccer, it's a minimum of one grandparent born in the country. But personally, I think that a good coach is a good coach, no matter where they come from. When Sven Goran was appointed, it was said by some that an Englishman was needed to motivate a group of Englishmen, which insulted the professionalism of both Mr Eriksson and the England players. So now it's great to see such narrow-minded nonsense proved wrong! smiley - ok

Frankie, thanks for the kind comments about the column. And I certainly hope you're right about Ye Olde Englishe Hooligans! smiley - bigeyes


Sven Goran v Englishmen

Post 4

Demon Drawer

BTW a trivia question how many premiership managers are actually English?

See who gets that one right.


Sven Goran v Englishmen

Post 5

Frankie Roberto

The West Ham manager is english, that's all I know. Harry Redknapp came from Bournemouth, I'm not exactly sure where the new one is from.

Not that I'm a big fan, but they're my local team!


Sven Goran v Englishmen

Post 6

Demon Drawer

Whoops. Harry Rednapp is no longer in charge at West Ham. smiley - winkeye


Sven Goran v Englishmen

Post 7

Frankie Roberto

smiley - erm That's why I said I'm not exactly sure where the new on is from...

They're not doing too badly though so far...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more